Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Which Arlo product to buy for indoor, motion activated, send alerts, no night vision?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
carolbschultz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm looking to purchase for a 10X15 ft space in a vendor mall. It's inside and climate controlled. Motion activated, sends alerts when there's motion is great but not imperative, 7 days of free cloud storage is all I need, no night vision required. The store is open 8-10 hours daily. I also noticed some models say they need a mobile plan or there's an "alexa" logo; what's that all about?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q doesn't use a base, only your own WiFi. It does have to be powered but plugging into an extension cord would be fine.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Is there a pre-existing wifi and can you access it?? AC ?

If so, then I would use an Arlo Q camera... better pixel detection and 1080.

Would work on a moblie hot spot if need be

If you go with any or the arlo cameras that use a base , you need ac, an ethernet port for the base unit which would be from an existing one or a mobile hotspot with a port

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

I agree with the reply below and the Arlo Q.

Regarding your question about 'needs a mobile plan', this applies to the Arlo Go. 

Arlo works with Alexa! 

See this KB article on how to use Alexa with your Arlo

https://kb.arlo.com/000044726/How-can-I-use-Amazon-devices-with-my-Arlo-cameras

This may be less relevant giving your situation. 

carolbschultz
Aspirant
Aspirant

They have wifi (1.2M upload speed). Yes, there's AC but, unless it can be plugged in directly to an extension cord I'd need wireless. I imagine I could plug the base into the modem under the main checkout desk, but that's going to be too far away from the place it will hang. Does that answer your questions?

carolbschultz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't have Alexa and not interested in getting it. The Q doesn't need it, correct?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q doesn't use a base, only your own WiFi. It does have to be powered but plugging into an extension cord would be fine.

carolbschultz
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's the one I just ordered because of the ethernet issue with the plus.

Louis_ArloPM
Arlo Employee Retired

Ok great.

Arlo does NOT require an Alexa for use. This is just a feature you can use if you wanted to.