Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

When will you be able to use the usb ports for local backups

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jerry1201
Follower
Follower

After reading and such the pro station is out.  It seems that the pro station can record to local drive.  Why can't the Arlo basic which is being sold at big box stores have the same thing?  Just asking, is this a hardware thing or a bios software issue? 

i would like a good answer since I just bought this base station and can't use the usb ports.  Why put them on a device that you can't use.  Netgear should offer a way to upgrade the older device with some reason.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The original Arlo base had the usb ports installed for future options that never came to fruition....

They can't handle the processing to record local like the Pro does ( pro has more mem and a faster processor )

The Pro is more like a gen 2 ... better and more...it's as simple as that.

There are no ( and were never offered ) upgrades .

That all said, the original Arlo base works just as it was designes... I run 12 cams on it ( some are Pros ) and it works....Doesn't mean it was bad , no different then a Iphone that has a new model...doesn't mean the older one doesn't work.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
steve_t
Master Master
Master

There are plenty of devices where a USB port is "for service use only". Who knows if the original base COULD possibly run local recording but Netgear don't appear to have any intention of enabling it. It's certainly not a secret that the Pro base station can do local recording while the original can't. If this is an important feature for you to have, perhaps look at selling your base and buying a Pro base.

Like all tech, it's worth doing a reasonable amount of research into devices before you buy them