Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
kalasoft
Star
Star

In your 'Two-Step Verification' email you mentioned, "Arlo will authenticate your identity with a security code delivered by text message or email to a trusted device." However, when I went to enable Two-Step Verification, I was not given an option to use the email address of choice. It would only allow for Two-Step Verification to operate via text messages. When will the email option become available and if it is already available, where is it located. Before you ask the question, no I will not use nor provide you this number.

Ed H.

16 REPLIES 16
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi kalasoft,

You can use push notifications on your phone device, which will be set as a trusted device, instead if you don't like to receive SMS text message to your phone. If you can't access your trusted device or don't have SMS text message set up, you can have the security code be sent to your email address.

You can read here to learn more: What is two-step verification and how do I set it up?

kalasoft
Star
Star

Dear Arlo Community,

Your reply, "If you can't access your trusted device or don't have SMS text message set up, you can have the security code be sent to your email address." is the very reason I submitted my original post. There is no place or setting within the 2 Form Factor settings to set an email address as the trusted device. Please pass along instructions how/where this can be accomplished. Thank you in advance for your prompt reply.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

When you first set up Two-Step Verification on your account and don't want to add your phone number, you can go the Arlo app on your phone device and set up the Two-Step Verification and choose "Push Notifications" so it'll ask if your phone device can be the trusted device.

Moving forward, whenever you log in that is not your trusted device, it will ask to provide the code and you can choose to send to your email for the code.

kalasoft
Star
Star

Once again, we are having a major problem with our communication skills regarding this issue. I do not want my smartphone listed as any trusted device linked to Arlo or your parent company, Netgear... period! Based on my home location, cell service is almost non-existence here. I wish not to have to go four blocks down my street each and every time I need/want to log into my Arlo account via my desktop computer just to receive the Two-Step login code. Upon receiving this code, go back 4 blocks only to find that the received code has expired. I've dealt with this issue with another company and since they would not change or alter their Two-Step Verification policy (largely because they wanted cell phone numbers to re-sell to after market promotional companies) I went with another company for that service. Now, I once again beg you to please provide me with detailed instructions on how I can set my Email address as the only trusted device for your Two-Step Verification system that does not involve using my cell phone or cell phone number to receive or push a verification code over to my email address.

p.s. It would not be in your best interest to tell me this can not be done. Several companies I deal with that are currently using a Two-Step Verification system provide for such a service.

kalasoft
Star
Star

Once again I attempted to enable your obscene Two-Step Verification and once again I am unable to complete this process without providing your system my mobile phone number. Once again I say to you Arlo, providing you, Netgear or any Netgear company my mobile number will never happen. You already have my email address and with this you claim it can be used as a backup delivery process. However, there is no way to set my email address as the primary delivery process for your Two-Step Verification system. So, once again I ask... how or where do I set my email address as the primary delivery system? Thank you for your prompt reply and instructions to my unanswered question.

2020-07-09_1042.png

Linusl
Luminary
Luminary
Will this trusted device work as bad as devices under geo?

If i drop my trusted device, cant get the code push and chose email instead. Can I use the. Ode in the email to activate my new device as trusted?

Askimg because Arlo is notorious for not testing the new features well.
kalasoft
Star
Star

Dear Arlo,

Are you not able to respond to the many support requests I've made or is it you just don't care? I have asked several times for your assistance with your upcoming Two-Step Verification system. Currently there is no way to use or sign-up for this mandatory service without entering a phone number that supports SMS Text Message. I do not have a phone that supports SMS Text Messages and thus you, Arlo will deny access to my login effective September 30, 2020. This is what is called in the consumer product industry as Customer Abuse and not Customer Service. You through your silence will be preventing me from accessing my account because you have either failed to think through all customer options and set-ups or, you just don't care. Either way your continued lack of support is becoming an embarrassment. Please take a few moments out of your busy schedule and respond to my countless requests for support and answer the single question I've been asking for months... "Who do I enable your two-step verification system without a phone that supports SMS Text Messages?"

I await your prompt reply,

Ed H.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

@JessicaP wrote:

When you first set up Two-Step Verification on your account and don't want to add your phone number, you can go the Arlo app on your phone device and set up the Two-Step Verification and choose "Push Notifications" so it'll ask if your phone device can be the trusted device.

Moving forward, whenever you log in that is not your trusted device, it will ask to provide the code and you can choose to send to your email for the code.

What about from computers and tablets? I also don't want to enter a mobile phone number. What if users don't even have one?

ChadSmith
Star
Star

@JessicaP wrote:

I'm in a similar position to the others. What if we don't have a trusted device, or don't want to provide that trusted device details to Arlo? e.g. I don't have a personal device, and instead use a work device (which I've had for 12 years). The work device is fine for most personal matters, but I do not use it as two-factor security destination as I don't trust it to that level.

Hence, I use either other email, hardware (security key), or trusted devices such as my personal/home laptop.

Arlo's problem here is that you are incorrectly assuming that everyone has access to a trusted mobile device.

I use many other services with two-factor authentication without using a trusted mobile device. Hence, why this thread exists. If Arlo is incapable of implementing non-mobile device authentication, then it shouldn't be enforcing it's use.

I too would prefer using email as the only authentication method, because at least my email is protected behind much stronger security key authentication.

I really hope this helps explain the gravity and severity of what Arlo is proposing to do, and potentially locking people from their accounts.

kalasoft
Star
Star

Dear Arlo,

Would you please provide instructions on how I am able to set-up your abrasive Two-Step Verification since I do not have a mobile phone that accepts SMS text messages. I have attached a screen shot from your website that clearly shows that your system can not enable your abrasive Two-Step Verification without a trusted SMS mobile device that I do not have! Now, September 30, 2020 is fast approaching and I have been asking this same question without a working reply from Arlo since you first introduced your Two-Step Verification requirements. Your failure to provide a working solution to this (and others) issue is very unprofessional and as such Arlo Customer Service is more Customer Abuse. Now, if you wish to provide me with a SMS mobile device at no charge to me so I can comply with your abrasive Two-Step Verification, that would be great! Until such time, please explain in detail how to I enable your Two-Step Verification when I do not have a SMS mobile device and your website will not allow me to continue without said device. I do hope and trust a solution will be forthcoming in a timely manor since time is no longer a luxury we have. Thanking you in advance for your prompt reply.

Ed H.

2020-09-05_09-58-10.png

BobHRd
Tutor
Tutor

First message I read shows somebodyelse has same problem of no option to select email as device for two stip verification.  And Arlo Support's Chat Room doesn't have a SEnd  Button to click to send your message - nice system!@!!!!!!!!!!

BobHRd
Tutor
Tutor

there is NO option either on my desktop or on my phone app to select email for two step verification, that is the PROBLEM

BobHRd
Tutor
Tutor

I followed your step by step instructoins and there is NO option for selecting email, check it yourself 

BobHRd
Tutor
Tutor

What is a good phone number for Arlo Support, the Community Support has message after message after message on the same subject of no email option to use for two step verification with NO real answers from Arlo, rreferring us to Arlo's instructions is worthless as those instructions refer you to selecting an email option which does NOT exist.  There is NO phone number on Arlo's various websites for Support contact.  Are they afraid to help us???  I would NOT ever recommend this product because of totally crappy cusrtomer support.  Can't believe the barriers and hoops you have to go through and stil can't get any help.

kalasoft
Star
Star

Totally agree! Spoke with Arlo customer support awhile ago and they assured me that logging in without the two step verification will not be an problem. So far... they are correct! With Arlo being a Netgear company, I am deeply disappointed with the way they handled this whole process. I always look at Netgear as the classic 'dot your i and cross you t' company. Because of this whole mess, when my Netgear equipment needs replacement, I'll be buying from other providers.

Ed H.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

@kalasoft wrote:

Totally agree! Spoke with Arlo customer support awhile ago and they assured me that logging in without the two step verification will not be an problem. So far... they are correct! With Arlo being a Netgear company, I am deeply disappointed with the way they handled this whole process. I always look at Netgear as the classic 'dot your i and cross you t' company. Because of this whole mess, when my Netgear equipment needs replacement, I'll be buying from other providers.

Ed H.

FYI. Netgear got rid of Arlo years ago: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=netgear+arlo+company ... Since then, Arlo's quality went downhill. 😞