Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

When my wifi is offline does my Arlo still record video when motion is activated?

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Hernandez_j12
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live in an area that doesnt provide options for internet providers. With that being said my internet goes down alot. Do my cameras still record with motion if this happens? That is a concern for me. And I have the basic Arlo system if I wanted to add a Arlo Pro camera to the basic wireless system is this possible?

Jamie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Loss of Internet access is an issue with the original wireless cameras. Right now the solutions would be a Pro base (they're going to be made available separately but don't know if they are yet) or Q Plus cameras. Both have the option to record locally using a USB drive on the Pro base and a micro SD card for the Q Plus. Since you already have the wireless cameras, the Pro base would be the best solution. Your old cameras will work fine using the new base.

The catch is that you need to remove the card or drive to be able to view the videos. It's more for a backup than for instantaneous replay.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Loss of Internet access is an issue with the original wireless cameras. Right now the solutions would be a Pro base (they're going to be made available separately but don't know if they are yet) or Q Plus cameras. Both have the option to record locally using a USB drive on the Pro base and a micro SD card for the Q Plus. Since you already have the wireless cameras, the Pro base would be the best solution. Your old cameras will work fine using the new base.

The catch is that you need to remove the card or drive to be able to view the videos. It's more for a backup than for instantaneous replay.
Hernandez_j12
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a regular wireless base....are they all the same? Or do I have to upgrade bases to go with wireless pro.
Hernandez_j12
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You can use the PRO cameras with the regular Arlo base.

BUT, if you want the local record , If internet goes out, this is only available from the PRO BASE

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Can the Arlo Q Plus sd card be set to record only when the wifi fails?

Is it possible to run Arlo wire free original cameras from a PRO BASE?

2 wire free cameras of mine were offline and did not restart for some time, the base station failed to reset and eventually seemed to come back online... I have no idea how?!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Q Plus SD card, if set up, records everything, not just when WiFi fails.

Yes, any of the wireless cameras will work on any of the bases.

If the cameras and base issue was from this morning, note the zillion threads about the same thing due to a server issue.
JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Is it possible to have the sd card only record when wifi fails? I'm concerned it may fill up unnecessarily, when I only need it to record when there is no signal!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Nope. However, I'm using a 16GB thumb drive in my Pro base with 4 cameras and it takes a few months, maybe over 6, to fill it. Just pull the card once in a while to copy things off or just monitor it until you get a comfort level.
JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Will the pro base record from the Arlo original wire free cameras when the wifi is offline?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As long as the camera connects to the base, any wireless camera will record on a Pro base.  Your WiFi has nothing to do with this unlike the Q cameras.