Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What is the PRINCIPAL difference between a base station and a smart hub?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bowa
Aspirant
Aspirant

My old Arlo cameras need a new or better base station - or smart hub. I have read many (all?) FAQ and community threads, and what "gives the best experience" and similar non-factual commercial mumbo-jumbo on what is "best" for me. But I can't find serious, technical explanation of what is the PRINCIPAL difference between a base station and a smart hub. The siren? One connects directly to internet like a router, or IS a router, and the other NEED another router out to the internet? Or? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bowa wrote:

I have looked in several documents to find out if there is a real difference between the two types. Do they connect to the internet in different ways, or have other fundamental differences?

Of course the APIs aren't public.  But AFAIK they all connect to the Arlo cloud in the same way.  From a user point of view, they are all installed the same way (ethernet to the router, add the base to your account with the web or mobile app).

I believe the smarthubs do have more capable processors ( and perhaps more radios), but I don't think Arlo is exploiting either at the moment.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
bowa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having read https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station I don't get the REAL difference between VMB4540 and VMB5000 other than one uses USB for local storage and the other SD. Nothing else seems to differ? The links to the "Data sheet(s) " are wrong everwhere on the page and refers only to cameras, not the hubs.

But as there is a substantial price difference, there must be much more that differs. Could any one of you gurus please enlighten me?

Thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bowa wrote:

The links to the "Data sheet(s) " are wrong everwhere on the page and refers only to cameras, not the hubs.

For some reason the smarthub data sheets are integrated with the cameras (The Ultra includes some details for the VMB5000; the Pro 3 include some details for the VMB4540). 

@bowa wrote:

I don't get the REAL difference between VMB4540 and VMB5000 other than one uses USB for local storage and the other SD. Nothing else seems to differ?

In addition to the microSD/USB storage difference, the VMB5000 includes both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz radios.  Most of the cameras don't support 5 ghz - and in practice, 2.4 ghz ends up being used all the time anyway (due to the typical distance between the camera and the base).

There could be other hardware differences that aren't on the datasheet.  But I have both, and haven't seen any difference in range or performance.

So AFAICT there is no reason the spend the extra money, unless you really want the microSD storage.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bowa wrote:

My old Arlo cameras need a new or better base station - or smart hub. I have read many (all?) FAQ and community threads, and what "gives the best experience" and similar non-factual commercial mumbo-jumbo on what is "best" for me. But I can't find serious, technical explanation of what is the PRINCIPAL difference between a base station and a smart hub. 

What about this are you finding confusing?  https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

@bowa wrote:

My old Arlo cameras need a new or better base station - or smart hub.

Maybe we should start here.  Is your current base failing?  Is there some feature that it doesn't have?

@bowa wrote:

But I can't find serious, technical explanation of what is the PRINCIPAL difference between a base station and a smart hub. The siren? One connects directly to internet like a router, or IS a router, and the other NEED another router out to the internet? Or? 

All the bases connect with ethernet to your router, so there is no functional difference there.  The only bases worth considering are the 4 below:

• VMB4000:  has a siren, the others do not.  But does not support direct access to local storage.
  • VMB4500:  basically a VMB4000 without a siren (with a newer Arlo look).  Does not support direct access to local storage.
  • VMB4540:  Smarthub with usb-connected storage.  Does support direct access to local storage.
  • VMB5000:  Smarthub with microSD storage.  Includes a 5 ghz radio, which IMO isn't a useful capability.    Does support direct access to local storage.

Direct Access to local storage is a way to avoid a paid subscription with newer cameras (that don't have the free 7-day cloud storage that is included with the original camera, the Pro, and the Pro 2). It has quite a few limitations, an IMO a paid subscription is a better way to go.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Anyway, if you need the siren feature in the base, then the VMB4000 is the only option.  If you want the option of using direct access to local storage (for a future new camera or doorbell purchase), then the VMB4540 is a good choice (cheaper than the VMB5000).

If you don't care about either the siren or direct access, then look for the best deal on the 4 listed above.

bowa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many thanks for your kind assistance. I gave up when some links referred to page 6 or 7 in a 4 page document.

I have a bunch of older but fully functional VMC3030 cameras, but the old VMB3010 base station seems to have deteriorated lately and the cameras really burn batteries when trying to connect. A local dealer said the newer hubs had vastly improved radios that could revive the installation. I'll aim for the VMB4540 then.

Thanks! 

bowa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again, I gave an answer in https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/What-is-the-real-difference-between-hubs-VMB4540-and-VMB5000/m-p/...

The link you referred to lists some of the basic functionality of some base stations and hubs, but not the essentials as you so kindly explained in my other thread. And some of them where called "base stations" and som "smart hubs" and I have looked in several documents to find out if there is a real difference between the two types. Do they connect to the internet in different ways, or have other fundamental differences? But it seems as its just a marketing labeling that differs?

Thanks again! 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bowa wrote:

I have looked in several documents to find out if there is a real difference between the two types. Do they connect to the internet in different ways, or have other fundamental differences?

Of course the APIs aren't public.  But AFAIK they all connect to the Arlo cloud in the same way.  From a user point of view, they are all installed the same way (ethernet to the router, add the base to your account with the web or mobile app).

I believe the smarthubs do have more capable processors ( and perhaps more radios), but I don't think Arlo is exploiting either at the moment.