Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Topsport1
Follower
Follower

What do I need in order to view my Arlo Wire-Free cameras from my Windows 10 laptop, again? 

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

go to   https://my.arlo.com with browser ( make sure you allow flash to run )

sign in same as in app

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
skalamanga
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm just researching cameras for an upgrade to my home system, and this answer is extremely concerning.

Adobe Flash has been removed from all my hardware for at least the last 5 years, with Adobe announcing its end of life over two years ago.

Most browsers no longer support flash because of the extremely high security risks it contains, and all platforms have plans to remove support for it completely next year.

Can you advise on Arlo's plans to support web based platforms in the future and when they will be available? Access to local live feeds through an open standard such as html5 would be preferred.

Thanks.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@skalamanga wrote:

... Most browsers no longer support flash ...

Not sure what browsers you are thinking about.  Chrome still has a built-in flash player, as does Edge.  FireFox still supports the adobe plugin.  There are others that still run flash, but those three alone have over 80% share.

That's not to say that Arlo doesn't need to shift to html5.   They do.

@skalamanga wrote:

Can you advise on Arlo's plans to support web based platforms in the future and when they will be available?

Arlo has said publicly that they will shift to html5 before flash is deprecated.  https://twitter.com/mbmcrae/status/1161305719821312005

They haven't said anything more than that,

skalamanga
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I say they no longer support flash, I mean that they actively recommend that users do not use it. That recommendation even comes from Adobe!

Chrome 76+ and Firefox 69+ no longer allow it to be enabled by default, it now has to be enabled on a per-site basis.

Edge browser is now based on chromium, and will be following their roadmap.

All three browsers will be completely removing the ability to run flash before the end of 2020.

There really should be an alternative to this, even in beta form, WAY before this date is reached.

A single tweet from the CEO 3 months ago is at least acknowledgement of the issue, but i'd feel a lot more comfortable if they published thier roadmap. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@skalamanga wrote:

When I say they no longer support flash, I mean that ...

Well, you didn't actually say what you meant - and many folks here don't follow the technology very closely and would have taken your comment literally.   There's plenty of FUD already here on this particular topic, so I think it's important to be very clear. 

Flash is on the way out, and browser support for it will end at the end of 2020.  There are good reasons for that, but right now Flash is still supported and can be used.  In several browsers (including Chrome, Flash, and Edge) it does need to be regularly unblocked in the browser in order to continue to use it.

@skalamanga wrote:

There really should be an alternative to this, even in beta form, WAY before this date is reached.

A single tweet from the CEO 3 months ago is at least acknowledgement of the issue, but i'd feel a lot more comfortable if they published thier roadmap. 

I don't expect them to publish their roadmap (forward-looking statements about existing products can lead to revenue recognition issues if they aren't done very carefully).  Of course they'd lose significant revenue from both subscriptions and sales if they don't fix this on time, so they have a strong incentive to cut over before the browsers remove flash support.

I agree that it'd be best if they move to html5 aggressively.  Even though flash does still work, it is a pain.  Plus waiting until right before the drop date creates a lot of needless risk for everyone concerned (Arlo and customers).

On the beta - Arlo betas are closed, and done under NDA.  So there won't be any comments here on beta.