Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What are the red dotted lights that come on that when someone view cameras live?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Mapg7
Follower
Follower

Okay so a family member whom is elderly had a break in. So other family members got together and bought her a ARLO system. & my husband and I also own an ARLO system, but being that the family member is elderly she doesn’t know how to use it. So other people in the family Log in. We/she doesn’t know for sure who all has access to those cameras. We know of two people for sure, but could possible be two other people also. Now due due to moving from state to state we are living with the elderly family member. & there is a camera in the main living area of the house. The ARLO camera has these red dotted lights around the lens that turns on. Now I know from experience of owning the same system that When those lights turn on it’s because someone is viewing live. I know it has motion sensors also. But how it usually works is camera detects movement, then sends a notification to the device mobile or computer that there is movement and The person can click the notification and therefore view live. Well those lights are always coming on. To the point it is WEIRD. now I told the elderly family member that who ever is viewing or has access is taking advantage. They are always watching when unnecessary. The elder is very gulliable and believes everything the people who tune in and view the cameRas when they say no we aren’t watching. The red lights come on when motion is detected. Now I tested that theory with my own ARLO. When motion is detected it sends a notification but no lights turn on (day/night). Now I’m on here asking you all to Be able to shed some light on the situation to the elder. Because even though Yes the cameras were put for safety and so that if anything were to happen we could look back or if no one was home we could look to see who was in the home without consent. It’s making the people who actually live in the house very uncomfortable that someone is constantly just watching us when we are cleaning or just watching tv. It’s a creepy, uneasy feeling & unnecessary for someone to just watch. I do know that periodically it could be the camera updating periodically to the base. But this is not always the case for us. So am i right or wrong That when those lights come on that’s someone tuned into that camera viewing live ?

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Usu, yes, if the night vision is toggled on the red (IR) leds will come on when the camera is triggered by motion or live veiwing... They may not come on if there is enough light in the room.

If you are concerned that too many people are viewing, there are ways to fix it if you are the primary account holder. Either go in and toggle off the access to the shared accounts AND/OR go in and remove all cameras first and then base unit ( remove device ) and start over with a new email/pw for a new primary account ( if they are all using the primary info ) as if brand new. ( claim base with new account and sync cameras )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------