Was gifted by my dad of his old VMB300 but it cannot be added to app or via web

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
LePrezAtHome
Aspirant
Aspirant

1. After contacting Arlo support they find out the base station was still present in my dad account.

2. Had to contact dad, I was able to guide him and he was able to remove the base station and the cameras from is Arlo account

3. Tried to add it again to my account, with no success, performed all the steps proposed by Arlo support (power off, reset, factory reset, unpluged, repluged) but no success (all leds acting normaly and showing the station online and connected)

4. Tried to add it back to my dad account... no success neither!!!

5. Last Arlo support email was only repeating the steps to perform a factory reset... Grrrr

Attempts were made from iOS app and via web portal on a mac. My router see the base station and I also see it's private wifi network... so seems to be connected, up and running. Disabled firewalls, vpn, anything that I know that could block networking... I'm out of idea now... 

Am I stuck with a bricked base station? Any idea what else I can try? Look like Arlo support is useless and they closed my case...

11 REPLIES 11
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

At first glance if the base is still showing normal led lights post the factory reset then the base was not successfully factory reset.

Can you confirm that the base LEDs started flashing Amber post the factory reset?

Sometimes you need to hold the factory reset button until the LEDs begin to flash.

Some base station fail to reset because the button gets film residue built up preventing proper contact.

Working the button several times can improve the contact action.

Edit: FYI

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be clear, a reset ALWAYS requires that you hold the button until the LEDs flash amber. Any less time means the reset didn't happen.

That said, I've had a similar experience where the base seemed to be working but I couldn't add it. I tried a different base and was immediately able to add it.

LePrezAtHome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi DannyBearAgain,

I did make sure all leds were flashing amber. After the reboot cycle is complete I get a steady amber on power led, a green led on internet and an amber led on camera and it stay like that. Trying to add the base station after that doesn't work.

LePrezAtHome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jgerdat,

Leds were all flashing amber.

Would be fun to try to add another base station but I don't have another one... 

LePrezAtHome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry I should have said that I get a steady GREEN on power led, a steady green led on internet and an amber led on camera

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@LePrezAtHome 

The steady amber led for the camera usually indicates that the base station is ready to be claimed by an account.

If you have a pc you can use the web browser to login to your account via my.arlo.com and try adding the base station again.

Both the web login and the mobile app requires to be connected to the local network for the adding process to work.

Usually the mobile needs connection to the local wifi and the pc needs Ethernet from the local network router.

LePrezAtHome
Aspirant
Aspirant

@DannyBearAgain 

All devices are connected to the same network, I confirmed that from my router. Tried to add from an iPhone via the app, an iPad via the app and Safari, a MacBook via Safari and a PC via Edge. None of it worked...

I see the network led flashing when I try to add but the process end up with the "No device was found" message.

I can ping the base station from the ipad, the mas and the pc with normal results...

Any other ideas?

Thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Were the PCs connected using wifi or ethernet?  If you can connected them with ethernet, then try that.  Maybe do another paper-clip reset of the base, before that attempt.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

If you are still struggling to add the base station, I would suggest returning the base to the original network at the original location and seeing if your father can add it back to his account successfully. If so then it validates the base as being viable and should be able to be successfully removed from your father’s account while it is still attached to the original network.

Just be aware that arlo doesn’t publish the way that the account locks/unlocks the equipment so trial and error is your only road.

LePrezAtHome
Aspirant
Aspirant

@DannyBearAgain 

Good idea, it worth a try... I'll go visit my dad next weekend, I'll bring back the whole set and try it! I'll keep you informed here.

LePrezAtHome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @StephenB 

All performed from wired pc. Factory reset performed at least 5 times...

Still no success...