Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Want Arlo Base Station Connectivity without Internet Access

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
johnjerr23
Aspirant
Aspirant

I actually have the Arlo Pro base station it wasn't in the list.  Cameras that run on batteries are most intesting to me for a power outtage situation.  Is it possible to connect directly to the base station without using the Arlo Android (etc.) apps or the arlo web site on the Internet?  If not, then these cameras don't provide any value if the power is out. I can run the base station on my generator but am assuming Internet would be down in that event. I would like to use the cameras for security even during extended power outages. I know that I can use USB hard drives to store motion video, but I would like more functionality than that.  I may try the higher end models that have power cords but the batteries of the lower end units made them attractive to test. Thanks if anyone has thoughts!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope. It's a closed system.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The system uses cloud access for just about everything (USB storage is the sole exception). Use of the battery in the cameras acts as a UPS during a power outage but you also need to use a real UPS for your modem, router and base so the cameras can connect to the base, the base can store on the USB drive and everything stays connected to the Internet.

johnjerr23
Aspirant
Aspirant

In a widespread power outage, my Internet communications could be down for several days so having my own small UPSes for the base station and my Internet router is not going to address the kind of problem that I described.  (Think hurricane Irma or the PR situation).  When I try connecting to the base station's IP address from a web browser, I just see some header code and no user interface. Is there any software that I can run locally to interact with the base station that does not require Internet access for basic functions? Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope. It's a closed system.