Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Robel67
Tutor
Tutor

I have a vmb4540 hub and two Arlo pro4 cameras, I want to be able to store files locally.

if I go into the Arlo app and onto the hub and into storage settings I have enabled ‘record locally’, I then go into ‘local storage settings’ and I can see I have plenty of available storage on the usb stick  I’ve connected.  I don’t seem to have any option for ‘direct storage access’ option anywhere on the app?

16 REPLIES 16
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Robel67 wrote:

I have a vmb4540 hub

Can you double-check this?  The VMB4500 looks identical, but doesn't support direct access.

There is a VMBxxxx label on the base.

Robel67
Tutor
Tutor

Hi yes the label on the bottom says VMB4540

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Robel67 wrote:

Hi yes the label on the bottom says VMB4540

Thanks for checking.

The direct access to local storage option should be shown on the storage options page for the smarthub.  If you see "Feed" in your app, then it is in "storage settings" -> "Local Storage Settings". 

You won't find it on my,arlo.com - it's only in the app.

Robel67
Tutor
Tutor

I see ‘feed’ in the app, under ‘local storage settings’ there is limited options ;-

storage status

available storage

best local recording

overwrite automatically

then at the bottom there is

safely eject local storage 

format usb device

Robel67
Tutor
Tutor

Just to add some more context, I have 2 pro4 cameras as well as the hub, my 3 month plan expired last night so I no longer see files in my ‘feed’, I don’t want to take out a subscription which is why I bought the hub.

I’ve literally had both the cameras and the hub reset back to factory settings todays a few times trying to get this working, I work in IT support so I’m quite comfortable around all of this, also I think I saw some screenshots of the app earlier that had more options on than what my app seems to have under the storage settings

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Robel67 wrote:

I see ‘feed’ in the app, under ‘local storage settings’ there is limited options ;-

storage status

available storage

best local recording

overwrite automatically

then at the bottom there is

safely eject local storage 

format usb device

You should see the direct storage access section underneath "overwrite automatically".

1. View Recordings
  2. Port Forwarding

Is the USB stick 16 GB or larger?

Robel67
Tutor
Tutor

Those two settings are not there. It’s a 32gb usb 3.0 stick

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Robel67 wrote:

Those two settings are not there. 

Weird.

This is in the app?  (my.arlo.com doesn't show them).

And local recordings are still being saved?

Robel67
Tutor
Tutor

Yep this is in the app, if I go to my.arlo.com I’ve very little options within there, nothing is listed about what kit I have, I have account settings and options for a subscription plan or to buy other kit.

do I need to subscribe and buy a plan? As that’s what this now feels like, I thought that if I had the base station then I wouldn’t need a subscription cos I could just store the file locally 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Robel67 wrote:

Yep this is in the app, if I go to my.arlo.com I’ve very little options within there, nothing is listed about what kit I have, I have account settings and options for a subscription plan or to buy other kit.

It sounds like you are using a mobile browser.  I also see very little on my iphone in my.arlo.com.

But local recordings wouldn't be shown in the PC browser (one of several restrictions with local storage).

@Robel67 wrote:

do I need to subscribe and buy a plan? As that’s what this now feels like, I thought that if I had the base station then I wouldn’t need a subscription cos I could just store the file locally 

Subscribing is of course an option (and in my opinion the local storage feature is a rather poor experience).

Things you might try:

1. Uninstall the app from the phone, and then reinstall it.
  2. Removing the camera and base from your account, and then doing hard resets of both both.  Use the paper-clip reset on the base, and then add it back to the account.  For the camera, you hold down the sync button until it flashes amber, and then add it back.
Robel67
Tutor
Tutor

Yes I’m using the mobile browser, I’ll try accessing with my laptop

im considering a subscription, but at £9.99 per month it seems expensive and the reason I bought the base station was to avoid additional costs, but it does seem that the basic service is a really poor offering

ive tried various things like that yesterday but will reset the lot again.

ive also logged a ticket with Arlo support to ask why the app isn’t showing the direct storage options.

thanks for your help

Robel67
Tutor
Tutor

Quick update:

I’ve taken the usb out of the base station and plugged into my laptop, I can see the files so the cameras are successfully recording and writing the files to the base station usb, it’s just that I cannot access those files via the app

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Robel67 wrote:

Quick update:

I’ve taken the usb out of the base station and plugged into my laptop, I can see the files so the cameras are successfully recording and writing the files to the base station usb, it’s just that I cannot access those files via the app

Are you getting an error?

Or are you just not seeing the direct access settings in the app?

Robel67
Tutor
Tutor

Hi im not getting any errors, my conclusion after all of this is that the option for direct access is just not appearing within the app ☹️.

im thinking of abandoning Arlo now, I’ve a blink system without subscription and I may just extend that outdoors, if Arlo weren’t charging £9.99 a month for the subscription I need I might consider it, but I don’t even pay that amount for Netflix 🤣 it’s a rediculous amount for what they’re offering

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Robel67 wrote:

Hi im not getting any errors, my conclusion after all of this is that the option for direct access is just not appearing within the app ☹️.

A factory reset of the smarthub might bring it back.

You'd need to remove the smarthub and cameras from the account prior to the reset, then add them back.

Robel67
Tutor
Tutor

I’ll try that again 👍