Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Vibrate is the only notification; no sound

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
emil77
Tutor
Tutor

I have the old school Arlo wireless cameras. I was having NO notifications for over 3 months. I reset the system last night and re synced all the cameras, I also reinstalled the app.

The very FIRST time I had everything backup I received a notification sound. After that I DO NOT receive any notification sounds, the phone only vibrates. I have gone into all the settings, changed the tone multiple times, even reinstalled the app but NOTHING. The phone ONLY vibrates. This is very very frustating. I will NOT do a factory reset.

Any ideas?

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9+

Software version: 8.0

18 REPLIES 18
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @emil77,

Have you tried testing on a different Android or iPhone device to see if you are receiving sound notification? Do you also receive sound notification from other third party apps?

emil77
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, other phones work fine. Yes, I receive notifications from other apps.

This problem is well documented on the arlo forums. Arlo has a problem delivering notification sounds to 8.0 software version androids.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have 2 different Android devices on Oreo and have no problems with sound. I suppose it could be a specific device/manufacturer that has an issue.

tacosOFsteel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here.  No sound from notifications.  I'm on the verge of factory reset of phone or setting up a separate arlo alert email address that can ping me... Not the best solutions but I've been obsessing over this for a few days since I set up the system.  I've turned off battery optimization, tried other notification noises, rebooted phone, checked profiles and volumes, even went so far as to add an exception in the 'do not distrub' mode.

emil77
Tutor
Tutor

I know your frustration, but don't do a factory reset!

Trust me, download this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=notificon.gsy.com.notificon

Set it up for notifications for Arlo and it works like a charm!

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Have you tried using a different notification tone for the Arlo app? You can change this on your Android phone through Settings > Notifications > Notification Tone.

tacosOFsteel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, tried several different notification sounds.  No luck.  

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

I would suggest contacting our Arlo Support Team so they can further assist you with the notification sound not working.

bfmed61
Guide
Guide
I downloaded that app but i still dont see any badges or hear sounds.. what else did u do other than allow that apps permissions?
emil77
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

On the app list in notificon is the bell shaped symbol on the Arlo app dark? I clicked that, then went to configure notification sounds and checked that box, under that you can set your notification sound. That's it and it works perfectly.

bfmed61
Guide
Guide
Yes of course...all that is on
tacosOFsteel
Aspirant
Aspirant
I ended up downloading the app Emil recommended above. Works as a great workaround but hoping this problem is solved soon. Alternatively, I set up a Gmail and had alerts sent there which worked. Just a slight lag
MitchWass
Aspirant
Aspirant

This app didn't work for me. Still have no sound. Vibration but no sound. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

iOS or Android? Do you have the laatest app installed? What phone and OS?

MitchWass
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, latest app...have unistalled and reinstalled a number of times.  Android Galaxy S7 Edge. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And when you clicked on the Notifications setting in Settings did you follow the link to the phone settings?

MitchWass
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat Yes, I've accessed settings in Arlo and the phone settings. Everything had been working fine until a few days ago. Still working fine on another phone, s7. All settings on S7 Edge are the same as the S7, yet not receiving sound notification, only vibration, nor does it post the number of alerts on the Arlo icon. Installed Notificon app, didn't help. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@MitchWass

Have you tried clearing the Arlo App cache & rebooting your phone?