Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

VMS3230-100NA assigned ip address even though it will be cabled.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
sashavon
Aspirant
Aspirant

the above model is incorrect. The correct one is deleted when I try to post. VMS3230-100NA. I am using routers currently set up for static ips, however the routers do have dhcp enabled. In my experience, I have to assign a private ip address for each device that is ethernet cabled. The wireless devices (not cabled) will get a dynamically assigned address. If I purchase the arlo 3230 device and cable it to my router, will it automatically get an address? Since there is no way to manually configure the Arlo, I was afraid to buy it and not be able to connect to internet.

4 REPLIES 4
steve_t
Master Master
Master

If DHCP is enabled, it should work without any problems

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While you can't set anything in the base itself (no access is allowed), you can use DHCP to manually assign a static IP if you desire.  

BTW, there's no reason that you have to use static IPs for any device, wired or wireless, unless you desire it for some reason.  I do assign static IPs via DHCP to a few devices but that's just to make it easier for me to connect to them via IP.  All my other wired and wireless devices are dynamic, including all my Arlo devices.

sashavon
Aspirant
Aspirant

The reason devices using wired connections are given static ips is to do NAT for security purposes. I also use port forwarding. Does this mean I can't (see) the arlo device's ip address? Should it show up on my windows 10 network in file manager?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The base is essentially a limited router and the WiFi is dedicated. There's no way to see the connection without using something like Wireshark to sniff the airwaves for the data flying around. You can see the IP address for the base from your router but everything else is off limits.