Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AncientFlower
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am having 'trouble' with local teenage thugs who don't like old people, ( that's what the younger kids, who I do get on with told me.) So I bought two Arlo Wire Free Cameras, with a NetGear Base,  (VMC3130.) 

I am a disabled pensioner, so it was a lot of money for me to shell out.

But I have a 'problem' - There is no time and date stamp on the downloads, although the time and date are shown online, when you download them, the details are different, there's just a number, but no time or date.

In England, the 'Police' insist that any 'Video Evidence' must have the time a date on it or they cannot use it. Because of this, they have refused to take any action up to now...

Is there any way to retrieve the time and date stamp on the downloaded video's?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@AncientFlower
This may help you more.... This is a snap shot of a file I took
This clearly shows from the app/prgm the date / time of video, this can't really be changed as it comes from the Netgear servers to you as you play back.....as you can see it is at 1050 am est... the date and time is on the top of a screen capture ( built into windows 10 , Snipping tool )
Capture meta data2.JPG
Add a couple of snapshots to the video file should be enough to provide proof
OR if you want to go a step more a program call Mediainfo ( free from this site ; https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo )
pulls the meta data from tha actual video file and presents it like this... ( todays Police must have some form of similar prgms at their disposal as so many things are digital these days )
Anyway the data shows the dte/time of when the file was created/coded... ( as a bounus , its in UTC  for you  🙂  )
Capture meta data.JPG
If you look at the bottom of the info for the ENCODED DATE you'll see its at 14:50:19 UTC...this is when the video was process at end )
( 4 seconds after the files name was created ( 10:50:15 am est )
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The LARGE file number is the date and time of the file in EPOCH time

you can input it here https://www.epochconverter.com/     to see it in human time ( that should be acceptable as for date/time )

Also with some retrieval of files the d/time is shown normally or in the metadata of the file ( some one else will have more info )

manfredz
Hero
Hero

even the time/date in file name, even thou Epoch time, will be of very limited use in the courtroom since filename can be changed. 

Arlo does not embed date/time in the body of the video itThis does not make the Arlo useless - you can still see the video of what happened as can the police.  But don't count on the recording standing up in course.

Although this has been brought up numerous times, I haven't read anything from Netgear that this feature is being added.

Don't know how far using phone cam to record video from library will help since you will see the date and time at the top of the library video.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As mentioned, some of the downloading prgms have the date / time in metadata of the file.

AncientFlower
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello and thank you for that bit of info TomMac, it is possible, I suppose, that as that numerical 'Epoch Time Stamp' is on the Download, it should be acceptable as 'Evidence' in a Law Court. IF it can be proven that the actual download HASN'T been tampered with, I hope that the 'Epoch' Time Stamp will be OK as the 'Evidence'. If there is any more 'trouble with those awful little thugs, we will find out. (they are an acception to most of the Community here, who are 'Civilized'.)

If, as 'manFredz' states, " filename can be changed." then it would not and could not be accepted as 'Evidence' in a 'Law Court', unless it could be proven that the filename had NOT been changed.

The 'Library' Video is only saved by the Arlo System for 7 days, so that couldn't be used even for the 'Police' to see unless it had been downloaded and the 'Filename' changes the second it is downloaded.

I think that it could be argued in a Court of Law that the actual footage should prove any 'actions' of any purpetrators, time stamped or not, although the so called 'Police' will NOT accept 'Video Evidence' unless it has a 'Time and Date Stamp'. But like I said, if those lawless young thugs do carry on wrecking, we will find out....

I am a Disabled Pensioner and can't afford to pay for expensive security systems although I do know I would be able to 'upgrade' to a paid subscription that would keep the Video's longer.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question, time is precious, don't waste it....

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@AncientFlower
This may help you more.... This is a snap shot of a file I took
This clearly shows from the app/prgm the date / time of video, this can't really be changed as it comes from the Netgear servers to you as you play back.....as you can see it is at 1050 am est... the date and time is on the top of a screen capture ( built into windows 10 , Snipping tool )
Capture meta data2.JPG
Add a couple of snapshots to the video file should be enough to provide proof
OR if you want to go a step more a program call Mediainfo ( free from this site ; https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo )
pulls the meta data from tha actual video file and presents it like this... ( todays Police must have some form of similar prgms at their disposal as so many things are digital these days )
Anyway the data shows the dte/time of when the file was created/coded... ( as a bounus , its in UTC  for you  🙂  )
Capture meta data.JPG
If you look at the bottom of the info for the ENCODED DATE you'll see its at 14:50:19 UTC...this is when the video was process at end )
( 4 seconds after the files name was created ( 10:50:15 am est )
AncientFlower
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you @TomMac I really appreciate that you have taken the time to explain that, in a way I could explain it to the Police, if there is any more trouble.

I did think maybe of taking a 'Screen Shot' of the Video in the 'Library', that does show the time and date, but this is much better and does 'prove' the time and date, which to be used as 'Evidence' in a UK Law Court, is crucial. 

Question Answered. THANK YOU. Man Happy

I am waiting for new batteries to arrive, as one is just about spent as I bought the sysytem second hand on eBay, ( it would have cost me much more 'brand new'.)

If there IS any more 'Trouble' and I do get something done about the local law breakers, I will submit the 'Case' to Arlo, which I'm sure will help to sell their gear.

Thank you again TomMac you deserve Kudos for this....