Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB5000: What are the benefits of connecting to Arlo Smart Hub base instead of directly to router?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DavidKhrishna
Initiate
Initiate

If you can connect all your cameras directly to your wifi router(s), then what are the benefits of using an Arlo Smart Hub or base station?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dcfox1
Master
Master

@DavidKhrishna wrote:

If you can connect all your cameras directly to your wifi router(s), then what are the benefits of using an Arlo Smart Hub or base station?

Most of the models need to be connected to a Hub/Base thats connects to a router with a Earthnet cable. The newer Pro4, Pro3 Floodlight (not spotlight) and Essentials can connect directly to your wifi. Not sure what models you have. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dcfox1
Master
Master

@DavidKhrishna wrote:

Most of the models need to be connected to a Hub/Base thats connects to a router with a Earthnet cable. The newer Pro4, Pro3 Floodlight (not spotlight) and Essentials can connect directly to your wifi. Not sure what models you have. 

DavidKhrishna
Initiate
Initiate

I have 6 Arlo Ultra cameras, 1 Wired Doorbell camera and 1 Pro3 Floodlight camera. So the Arlo Ultra cameras cannot connect directly to wifi routers?

dcfox1
Master
Master

@DavidKhrishna wrote:

I have 6 Arlo Ultra cameras, 1 Wired Doorbell camera and 1 Pro3 Floodlight camera. So the Arlo Ultra cameras cannot connect directly to wifi routers?

Yes, The Ultra need to be connected to a SmartHub like the VMB5000 you mentioned or most bases. The Pro3 Floodlight can connect to your wifi or Hub. You also need to be connected to a Hub for local storage and CVR if you want that. 

Edit: I don't believe the wireless doorbell can connect to a hub yet.