Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4500r2 - no videos in library

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
sdace1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ive had my Arlo system for a couple of years now.  Up until about 4 days ago, it always detected motion and the video would show up in my Video Library.  I was just on the Basic plan so the videos would only stay there for 7 days but that was ok with what I need. (I would delete them manually a lot of the time although)

But like I said, the last 4 or 5 day, its either not detecting motion on either of my cameras or for some reason its not recording videos and they aren't showing up in the library.  I've pulled power on the base and with the apps have powered off and on the cameras.

Any ideas or suggestion what might have changed? Or other things I could try?

14 REPLIES 14
Dannybear
Master
Master
Can you live view the cameras and will they record to the cloud library ok?

It’s possible that the camera firmware has a PIR bug. Have you tried pulling the battery for 10sec and retesting.

You can also try toggling the base station mode to disable them back to armed a few times and test again.
sdace1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great Suggestions...and thank you for reply

Can you live view the cameras and will they record to the cloud library ok? - with both cameras I can manually record and they do show up in the video library.

It’s possible that the camera firmware has a PIR bug. Have you tried pulling the battery for 10sec and retesting.  - I pulled the battery on one camera but it still doesn't start recording automatically.  Under Device settings and Motion Testing...when I move my hand infront of that I can see the orange/yellow light flashing, like it is noticing there is movement.

You can also try toggling the base station mode to disable them back to armed a few times and test again. - Tried this about 5 -6 times and didn't seem to make a difference.

I've check for firmware on all 3 devices(Base and 2 cameras) and none of them said they needed firmware.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Can you check the mode camera rules exist for the armed mode, check they are configured to record and notify etc.

The scorched earth method is to remove all devices from the account and re-import them. You will need to reapply any custom setting changes again though.
sdace1
Aspirant
Aspirant

The mode for Armed was set for Motion and Record.  I also added Audio.

Guess I'll try removing everything and starting over.  I'll need to find the setup instructions since its been a couple years since I did that.

Ill report back after I get a chance to try that.

sdace1
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I've reset my base and removed all my devices.

Trying to re add the device...it isn't finding the base.  I'm wondering if my base didn't go bad.

I have it connect via network cable, when I reset it, it does start flashing amber but both my app and my arlo.com setting will not find it. Thoughts?

Dannybear
Master
Master
Some customers have previously reported issues trying to re-import the Base and camera’s.

Some keep repeating the process and it eventually comes good. Might be a time thing so the arlo main server gets updated.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sdace1,

We're currently investigating reports of this issue. If you've removed your base station and are having trouble onboarding again, you may need to factory reset first.

When resetting, be sure to follow the instructions here and then attempt onboarding again: https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station

JamesC

sdace1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im still having troubles with re adding my base even after using a paperclip to reset it.  I have a network cable to it and the network switch.  The light on the front is solid blue

Any other suggestions?  I can try

sdace1
Aspirant
Aspirant

What color should the light be on the base before I'm trying to re add it?

Dannybear
Master
Master

The LED should be yellow after a factory reset with the paper clip method.

when you tried the reset did you get the flashing yellow indicator?

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station

Dannybear
Master
Master

It may take 5mins to reboot after a factory reset.

sdace1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ive tried to add the base back multiple times of the past few day.  Whether the light was solid blue or flashing amber, the app just can't find the base.  

The light on router/switch that my base is plugged into is flashing orange so I need to research what that light means.  My WIFI device plugged into the same switch/router is solid blue.  Tonight Im going to research the orange flashing light on my switch and maybe try a new network cable. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@sdace1 wrote:

The light on router/switch that my base is plugged into is flashing orange so I need to research what that light means.  My WIFI device plugged into the same switch/router is solid blue.  Tonight Im going to research the orange flashing light on my switch and maybe try a new network cable. 

The Arlo bases and hubs use 100Mbps connections since they won't ever be able to swamp that connection - 1Gbps and higher won't make any difference. The blinking is just due to network access.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:
The Arlo bases and hubs use 100Mbps connections since they won't ever be able to swamp that connection - 1Gbps and higher won't make any difference. The blinking is just due to network access.

FWIW, there are some ethernet ports that no longer negotiate 100 mbps.  Some newer 10 gbps NICs have dropped support for fast ethernet.  

If that's the situation with your router, then you can get an inexpensive gigabit switch and put it between the base and the router.