Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB3500 4 camera wireless system issues

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Jpa45
Tutor
Tutor

The last software upgrade is causing multiple problems. The system is unusable. Notifications, camera communication and functionality not working. Cameras go off line and will not sink. Camera motion sensors not working properly. Batteries are are not low but do not work. Too many problem to mention. Can we return to an older version that works?

11 REPLIES 11
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Jpa45

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Jpa45
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks. For the suggestion. I spent 3 days searching for solutions on community and Arlo. After entering my problems on the community website, a couple day passed and I was able to get all 5 cameras on line. A little later a camera went off line. I tried to sink it and the camera signals week battery. I checker the batteries and they all showed 3/4 or more charge. I put the same batteries back and was able to bring it back on line. I looked at the camera on line and the batteries showed 1/4 power. There is a software problem with the code that determines battery power.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jpa45 wrote:
There is a software problem with the code that determines battery power.

Perhaps not.  The camera will use a lot of power when it loses it's connection to the base - because it is actvely syncing.  So if the connection was offline for a while, that could explain the battery drop.

If you are using the original camera with the CR123 batteries, then you might want to look into using the Tenergy rechargeable batteries that are Arlo compatible.

Jpa45
Tutor
Tutor
I was measuring the current with a electrical current meter. I then put them in the camera and looked at my arlo app to get the current. It was not close.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jpa45 wrote:
I was measuring the current with a electrical current meter. I then put them in the camera and looked at my arlo app to get the current. It was not close.

The estimated battery capacity in the app isn't the same as current.  So I am confused on how you think these relate.

FWIW, I believe that estimated charge is usually based on voltage, and not current.

Jpa45
Tutor
Tutor
I was using a volt meter. Sorry about the confusion. I use current and volts interchangeably. The batteries showed a full charge with the volt meter. The arlo app showed - .4 - .5 charge.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jpa45 wrote:
I was using a volt meter. Sorry about the confusion. I use current and volts interchangeably. The batteries showed a full charge with the volt meter. The arlo app showed - .4 - .5 charge.

I don't know exactly how the SoC measurement is done by the camera, but I suspect the measurement is done under load (and the volt meter test wouldn't be).  In any event, the SoC is an estimate (as they are in most devices), and they will be off.

That said, there are two factors that can shorten the battery life.  One is frequent camera disconnect/reconnects.  The camera actively looks for the base station when that connection is lost, and that will burn through battery pretty quickly.  The other is lots of streaming/recording.  That can be hidden if you use cloud activity zones.

I realize that lots of folks have said that their battery life dropped significantly this summer.  Obviously firmware updates can also effect battery life, since the firmware is doing the power management.  I am not challenging their reports.

Jpa45
Tutor
Tutor
I created a custom mode which activates only one camera. When I activate the mode the camera detects montion but it does not take a picture or video. Is there a problem or am I doing something wrong?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jpa45 wrote:
I created a custom mode which activates only one camera. When I activate the mode the camera detects montion but it does not take a picture or video. Is there a problem or am I doing something wrong?

Check the mode rule.  Is the recording included in the "then do the following" section?

Jpa45
Tutor
Tutor
I found 2 items. Send a notification and send an email.
I assume pictures are not permitted. Thanks for the help.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jpa45 wrote:
I found 2 items. Send a notification and send an email.
I assume pictures are not permitted. Thanks for the help.

You can attach screenshots.

But if you aren't seeing a step that records the video, then you set up the rule incorrectly.  Look at the rules in the default ARMED mode (assuming you haven't changed that mode), and you'll see the recording step there (after the motion detection but before the notifications).