Using Netgear NightHawk as a base station with more than 5 cameras

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
swoodard
Guide
Guide

I have purchased a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and moved one of my cameras over from the Arlo Base to the Nighthawk. When using the app I see all 5 of my cameras and within the settings-My devices area of the app I also see the 5th is connected to the nighthawk. My question is this. Say I purchase 5 more cameras and connect them to the Nighthawk, since the Arlo base station can only handle 5 will all 10 show up in the app with the basic subscription plan? I guess I am not sure how the free subscription plan works when having more cameras even if connected to a NH router/base staion. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
The number of cameras that can be connected to a base station is not limited by hardware but subscription plan only. So, the free subscription allows for connecting up to five, the Premier plan ten, and the Elite plan 15 cameras to a single base station. It doesn't matter whether that's an Arlo base station or the R7000 router.

So, your choices for hooking up another five cameras in addition to the five you already have are twofold;

- Hook them up to a second base station (or router) on a separate account on the free basic plan, and don't pay a dime in subscription fees.
- Get the Premier subscription and hook up the additional five cameras to whatever base station/router you already use. You don't need to set up another account for this option.

Note that another limitation of technical nature is that you can only have up to five concurrent video streams per base station. A video stream is an ongoing video recording triggered by a motion event or a live view. So, depending on your needs it may be wise to use two base stations for ten cameras anyway.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
The number of cameras that can be connected to a base station is not limited by hardware but subscription plan only. So, the free subscription allows for connecting up to five, the Premier plan ten, and the Elite plan 15 cameras to a single base station. It doesn't matter whether that's an Arlo base station or the R7000 router.

So, your choices for hooking up another five cameras in addition to the five you already have are twofold;

- Hook them up to a second base station (or router) on a separate account on the free basic plan, and don't pay a dime in subscription fees.
- Get the Premier subscription and hook up the additional five cameras to whatever base station/router you already use. You don't need to set up another account for this option.

Note that another limitation of technical nature is that you can only have up to five concurrent video streams per base station. A video stream is an ongoing video recording triggered by a motion event or a live view. So, depending on your needs it may be wise to use two base stations for ten cameras anyway.
GABRIELL
Guide
Guide

Hi,swoodard,

The R7000's firmware that is compatible with the Arlo Wire Free camera has been pulled out from the
NETGEAR support site last February.

The Basic subscription plan offers 7 days worth of cloud storage at no cost. After 7 days, it will be
automatically deleted from the cloud. If you want to connect more than 5 cameras on a single base station,
you must subscribe to either the premier (30 days) or elite (60 days) plans.

Arlo subscription plans
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-
and-how-much/ta-p/88

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

GABRIELL wrote:

The R7000's firmware that is compatible with the Arlo Wire Free camera has been pulled out from the
NETGEAR support site last February.

While it's true that the official firmware has been pulled, a beta version that I've been using works fine for me.  A Netgear forum thread has a link to this firmware posted by a Netgear employee:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-2-4ghz-not-working-but-5ghz-is-fine/m-...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Update - a new beta may be available next week hopefully followed by a general release soon. Check the last couple of pages in the link I posted above for a few more details.

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
If I have 5 cameras on a basic plan and want to add a 6th as an Arlo Q, must I upgrade to premier or elite and if I want the new camera to CVR is that an additional fee? If I no longer need one of the cameras or the CVR, can I downgrade to basic at any time?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You'll either need to upgrade your plan or use a separate account with a different email address with no more than 5 cameras on either plan. You could do the latter and use your other email address as a friend to share the camera(s) SL they all show up in one account. A bit of putzing but possible.

CVR is a separate option so, yes, it will cost you $10 a month regardless of plan.

And you can cancel your paid plans at any time and revert to basic.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JustLearning,

If you have 5 Arlo wire-free cameras and an Arlo Q camera there are two options to select from. If you do not need CVR capabilities you could simply upgrade to Premier which supports up to 10 event based cameras (mix and match). Alternatively, you can purchase a CVR plan that supports the use of your Arlo Q camera while the original Arlo wire-free cameras remain on the free Basic plan.

Essentially, adding the CVR will allow the use of your 6th camera while remaining on the Basic Plan.

Due to the many recent changes I understand that there may be some confusion. I hope this clears some of that up and please let me know if you have any additional questions!

JamesC

rdbishop
Aspirant
Aspirant

What do you mean by "The R7000's firmware that is compatible with the Arlo Wire Free camera has been pulled out from the
NETGEAR support site last February"?  I am using my Nighthawk R7000 instead of the base station and I have had nothing but problems.  Motion detection problems, extremely poor video quality recordings, inability to view a live feed from an outdoor camera apparently due to connection issues when my phone and the camera show full signal quality and speedtests show 25+ megabit connectivity with the phone.  This is a brand new system and I am about at my wits end.  I do not want to go to the trouble of connecting the base station to my router unless there's a darn good chance it will fix my problems because I will have to change one of my existing hard wired devices to wireless if I add the Arlo base station.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

what firmware are you using? I'm using the beta that was provided here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-2-4ghz-not-working-but-5ghz-is-fine/m-...

(Scroll up one message to get the link.)

I can't vouch for every possible scenario but I have 3 wireless cameras and a Q atteched this way with no problems.  If you're using 1.06.30, try using the newer firmware.  It's suggested to factory reset the router to implement this but you might want to try just updating first.

I'm monitoring the thread since it's been announced that a new beta is said to maybe be available this week followed by an official release.

rdbishop
Aspirant
Aspirant

My R7000 firmware is 1.0.6.28_1.1.83.  I took my phone to the outdoor location of the camera that was having video recording problems and ran Speedtest.   The download speed was 26 Mbbs and upload was 15Mbbs.  The Wifi indicator for the camera on the app showed full signal.  When I try to view the Live feed it just spins and spins and never shows a video feed.  I have two cameras and one of them has had intermittant motion detection issues.  Works sometimes and sometimes won't even work if you wave your hand directly in front of the camera.  It has been an extremely frustrating experience thus far.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are multiple issues here.  

First, I'd suggest trying the beta firmware I posted about a couple of messages ago and keep an eye out at the end of that thread for any announcement of a new release.

Next, the upload speed as measured by your phone near the camera has little to do with the operation of the camera. In particular, it's the connection between the camera and the base or router that's of interest and you can't measure that.

Also, you appear to be using the app.  Have you tried logging out and back in?  I find that helps.  Also, have you tried a browser?  Sometimes issues pop up on one but not another.  If it's app-related, try reinstalling the app.

Finally, there's a lot of potential trial and error in camera positioning to ensure best detection as well as connection to the base/router.  The FAQs have a lot of info but you can start with switching cameras around to see if the issue follows the camera or position. If it's the position, possibly changing the camera location, perhaps by mere inches but possibly more, may improve the connection.  Since you're using the router, repositioning the antennas may be useful.  For best detection, motion should be across the FOV, perhaps starting near an edge.  A typical problem folks run into is getting too much scene involved.  Post a screenshot of your view so we can make suggestions.

Lotsa possibilities here. Internet troubleshooting can be problematic since we can't see all the variables.

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
That sounds great. Do you know how I could grant access to settings etc to the shared account? It would be great to be able to manage them all from the same app, live stream etc, if possible and not just view them. A majority advantage of Arlo is the possibility of free storage.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In the account that you're sharing from, go to Settings, Grant Access and edit the person of interest.  At the bottom is a Allow Access Rights slider. Be sure to save.

blushark
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, is there any performance upgrade/improvement when connecting the wireless cameras to the 7000 nighthawk instead of the arlo base station? I actually own both the NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit (EX7000-100NAS) and the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000)

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

blushark wrote:

So, is there any performance upgrade/improvement when connecting the wireless cameras to the 7000 nighthawk instead of the arlo base station? I actually own both the NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit (EX7000-100NAS) and the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000)

I have read of at least one user here in the forums reporting a significant signal improvement when using the R7000 router as opposed to the Arlo base station. It enabled him to use one of his cameras in a remote location that provided an unreliable connection, showing bad quality video and shortened video clips. After switching to the R7000 router the problems went away completely, allowing him to use the camera in the remote location without issues.

Thecoons
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a Nighthawk R7000. Currently I do not have any Arlo security camera product yet. Could I purchase an add-on Arlo camera and connected to my R7000 and set up a free account or do I have to buy an Arlo package in order to get my free account going?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just the camera is all that's needed other than appropriate firmware in your router to enable Arlo capabilities.  It appears that any firmware of 1.6.x or higher will have the Arlo capability but right now you can only download beta versions.  If you need a link, yell.