Upgrade Failure

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Triumph250
Guide
Guide
  • Arlo on-line indicates a message "A firmware update is required for your base station and camera. Let's start with the base station." There is a button that says "Update Base Station"

Clicking button, a message appears "Are you sure you want to update to 1.8.8.0_xxxxx"

Clicking on "Update", a message appears "Base station firmware updating"

About 60 seconds later, a message appears "upgrade failed - File failed to download. Please try again."

I have tried this 20-30 times with the same result. Why won't the base station update?

14 REPLIES 14
Streak2
Master Master
Master

This can sometimes happen if your upload speed is too low.

The minimum requirement is 1Mbps.

If you run a speedtest, what are the results?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did it update overnight?

Triumph250
Guide
Guide

I had to wait for Windows 10 and others to free up bandwidth. I an getting 1.1 to 1.2 Mbps. The update failure persists.

Why is there a minimum internet speed required?

Triumph250
Guide
Guide

No. Request to update base station continues to appear. Upgrade Failure presists.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The minimum speed is for adequate bandwidth to upload the videos in real-time. For some unknown reason, low upload speeds can also affect firmware updates. Some folks have had success moving the system to a different location to accomplish the updates and then going back to the original location.
Triumph250
Guide
Guide

Realtime viewing works fine. I had to relocate my equipment previously to apply updates. I don't understand why download speeds is an issue for updates and what can be done to recify the issue. 

Ratchettoe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't have 1Mbps Internet speed.  How can I update?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
As stated above, relocating the system to a different location has worked for others to accomplish the updates.
Triumph250
Guide
Guide

Any idea on how/who to contact in Netgear to correct this oversight and extend the timeout for thos of us that have slower IP providers? 

Getting the ladder out to take down the cameras, unplugging the base station, relocating the equipment to update and then reinstalling everything every 6 months, will get old. 

The fix cannot be hard.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

Ratchettoe
Aspirant
Aspirant

The base station upgrade is the first update.  I can't get my base station any closer.  It is connected to my modem.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ratchettoe,

What firmware version is your system showing? Are you sure it hasn't already updated?

You can see the current firmware here: Firmware Release Notes

JamesC

Ratchettoe
Aspirant
Aspirant

It says I have firmware version 1.8.1.1_10234.  It says "Update available" version 1.8.8..0_11528.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ratchettoe,

This is likely due to slow internet speeds as you indicate above. Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC