Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just started having problems downloading videos. Press download button — nothing. Am on Mac, Big Sur, Chrome. Any suggestions? Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi danwriter,

Have you tried clearing your cache/cookies to see if that helped? Also try on incognito mode and/or a different browser to see if that works as well.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

All of a sudden I cannot download a video. The "Download: button no lobger works. Anyone know why and how to remedy?

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Still having trouble downloading videos. When I touch on the three dots on the video, I get a menu, that includes download, but touching that link does nothing.  Really need these videos and am willing to pay someone to help me through this.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

PS: Have cleared  cache and have tried various browsers.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

I would suggest for you to contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here's where we're at: still unable to download videos either from the phone (OS 14.4.2) or from the website on the new laptop running OS Big Sur. Went back to the old laptop, running OS El Capitan, and downloaded videos no problem. Then emailed them to myself on the new laptop. It appears it's an Arlo issue — incompatibility with the latest Mac operating systems. Why am I not surprised. 

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here's where we're at: still unable to download videos either from the phone (OS 14.4.2) or from the website on the new laptop running OS Big Sur. Went back to the old laptop, running OS El Capitan, and downloaded videos no problem. Then emailed them to myself on the new laptop. It appears it's an Arlo issue — incompatibility with the latest Mac operating systems. Why am I not surprised. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Better yet - it appears to be an Apple problem causing a change in their API. Why am I not surprised?

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fair enough. Apple moved to their M1chip with this iteration of machines. And when the gods battle, the peasantry suffers. I have to keep the old laptop running for now anyway since the M1/Big Sur combo also won't recognize 32-bit files from Quicken. But at least Apple allows users to access live tech support (for a price); Arlo seems to prefer us users to hash out problems by ourselves. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Inability to download would be a browser issue, not an Apple API problem.

Have you tried installing and using Chrome, just to see if it behaves the same way as Safari?

Also, are you having any issues downloading mp4 files from other sites?

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stephen: You're not reading the entire thread. The problem persists across multiple browsers, and Chrome is my main browser. And no, no problems with any other media downloads.

I'll use the two-laptop work around for the time being. The good news is that there are so many more affordable security-cam options out there now just in the last year or so to look at. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@danwriter wrote:

Stephen: You're not reading the entire thread. The problem persists across multiple browsers, and Chrome is my main browser. And no, no problems with any other media downloads.

Well, I missed Chrome in the title obviously, but didn't see anything in the text about trying multiple browsers.  You're saying you tried Safari on the Mac that won't download?

But I still don't see how the Mac API can't be the immediate cause - the browser creates a sandboxed environment, which prevents the Arlo web client (really any web client) from directly using the Mac API.  And other downloads work.

It could be an incompatibility with the browser and the Arlo servers of course, or it could be related to internet security software on the Mac.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

No internet security software on the Mac that didn't come loaded on the laptop at purchase. What In really want to do it opt out of 2FA. That's not an unreasonable request.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@danwriter wrote:

really want to do it opt out of 2FA. 

FWIW, I'm not a fan of mandatory 2FA either, and at least want the ability to make the PC a trusted device.

Though that is off-topic for your original issue, there are other threads here on that. 

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@danwriter wrote:
How to opt out of 2FA?

You can't.  At the moment the system still works w/o it, but Arlo has started a countdown that requires it by 18 April.

Mobile devices running the app can be trusted - which eliminates the headaches for them, but unfortunately Arlo doesn't allow PCs to be trusted (at least not yet).

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo finally pushed us to the wall and forced its user base to comply with a protocol that wasn't part of the deal when users shelled out hundreds of dollars for purchase/installation. Admittedly, the mobile aspect seems to accept once-and-trusted, but laptops remain machina non grata in Arlo's new ecosystem. Thanks Matt McCrae — you Zuckerberged us.

migeulo65
Aspirant
Aspirant

This problem persists, acrioss all browsers, on Intel and M1, it's an Arlo software issue with no comment from them.

I need to download a video for the police, if much more time goes then the video will be erased from the server, yet the software won't let me download it. 

Ridiculous how companies treat their customers so badly after poor product delivery.

But their cash collection systems are superb!

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

"it's an Arlo software issue with no comment from them."

That's what bothers me the most, as well. Arlo lets users try to figure messes like this out for themselves while CEO Matthew McRae sits back and cashes the checks.