Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

USB light flashing when I try to sync

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Gigi
Guide
Guide

I have reviewed troublshooting posts and other similar issues to mine but I am still unable to resolve my issue. I was able to sync one camera after doing a system reset and deactivating my cameras. But I am not able to sync the other camera. I have opened the battery compartment and I have rebooted the base station, multiple times. After rebooting the base station, the power light, the internet light and the camera light are solid green, I push the sync button on the side and only the USB light flashes yellow. Do I need to do another system reset and deactivate my base station again? This is getting frustrating and should not be taking so much of my time. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry for butting in but you didn't mention whether you were holding the Sync button down excessively. Make sure you don't continue holding it.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
DeannS
Arlo Employee Retired

Good morning Gigi,

The USB light will flash if you hold the Sync button for more than about 8 seconds. This puts it into a mode that would prohibit syncing.

It is likely to fall out of that mode within 10 minutes. 

If you are seeing the USB light flashing after simply pressing the Sync button, instead of holding it, then it is possible the Base Station Sync button is defective and we will proceed with replacement under warranty. 

Please let me know if this helps.

I look forward to your response!

Thanks,

DeannS 

Arlo Team

Gigi
Guide
Guide

Hello and thank you for trying to help. I am sorry to say retrying everything I have previously done did not help. The camera is close to the base station when I try to sync. I push both buttons, one on the camera and the sync button on the base station. I do understand the LED lights at the bottom of the base station. The last LED light I understand is "for future use" and the symbol is one that appears to be used to signify USB port but it flashes amber (looks yellow to me) when I am synching. The camera, after trying the sync, flashes amber (that light acutally looks amber). I have already successfully synched one camera so I am sure I am doing everything correctly. I guess my only option at this point is to do an entire reset once again. I am tired of dealing with this and wasting away my day. I will do an entire system reset another time. At this point I am not happy with my netgear cameras and will not be recommending them to friends and family. Too much hassle.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry for butting in but you didn't mention whether you were holding the Sync button down excessively. Make sure you don't continue holding it.

Gigi
Guide
Guide

Now that is a possiblity. When I next try to sync, I will just push the button and release. When I tried to sync the second camera, the camera light was lit to solid green since one camera was already working and connected to the base station. I thought I was to wait until the camera light started flashing before releasing the button but that never happened. The only light that flashed was the end light (USB) on the base station started flashing.  

Gigi
Guide
Guide

Thank you jguerdat! That is exactly what I was doing wrong! It synced right away once I did what you said. I appreciate that you "butted in"! Thanks for the help! So now I am back to liking my cameras!

Gigi
Guide
Guide

That's exactly what I was doing wrong DeannS. I got it to sync after doing as you instructed. Thank you for your assistance!

DXK
Initiate
Initiate

Holding the Sync button too long can cause the USB symbol to blink yellow.  Simply Press the Sync button one-time, release, and the Camera Sync light will flash in a couple of seconds.  (I figured this out after trial and error 🙂 ...with lots of error.)

indy430
Aspirant
Aspirant

Eureka!!!   Finally!!!  After three full hours of frustration, ready to sack everything up and return it.   Your arswer solved my problem.  I thought I shoulod hold the two sync buttons until the green light came on.  Something needs to be in the set-up instructions about this.    Thanks again for taking the time to address this.

Gigi
Guide
Guide

I'm happy you got it figured out too Indy. I know that frustration! Since that last issue, I have had no troubles with my cameras. They work great!

ArloLondon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having also just wasted a portion of my day with the same issue, could I suggest that the wording in the Quick Start guide be amended please?

Currently it says: "Press the sync button on the side of the base station. Wait for the flashing green light". That is lot different to:

"Please press and release the sync button after 1 second, the sync light will flash green. Do not hold too long or you might activate a mode that does not support sync".

Pibs
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had exactly the same problem - thinking I had to keep the 'Sync' button on the base station pressed until I saw a solid green light. This conversation thread helped solve the problem before I got too frustrated. Thanks!Smiley Happy

Outn99
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had the exact same problem. Instructions said to hold sync button for two seconds until flashing. Sync was fine for one camera, then USB flash for second.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Outn99,

If the far right LED starts flashing this indicates you have held the sync button for too long. Do not hold the sync button for more than 1-2 seconds, press and release. If done correctly, the center LED (camera LED) should start flashing indicating the base station is ready for a camera to be synced.

JamesC

Adidasgk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks a lot for the feed. My problem solved!