Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
LGjohnny
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having a problem getting my Netgear Arlo VMB3000 base station recognizing a 2.0 USB thumbdrive that I have inserted in the back.  I have formatted the every USB stick I've tried with the FAT32 file system.  I have tried 128MB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, and 128GB usb thumb drives. The USB light on the front of the base station illuminates solid green, however when I log into Arlo either through my PC or iPhone and go to Settings>MyDevices>Arlo Basestation, nothing about local storage appears!  The system is running 1.8.1_9169 version firmware and says there are no updates available.  I just purchased this system this month, November 2016.  I have followed the instructions to set up local storage but nothing ever shows up in any of the settings menu that says "Local Storage." Am I missing something here?

I have 7 cameras connected: 4 Arlo Wireless, 1 Arlo Pro Wireless, and 2 Arlo Q wireless cameras.

Thanks folks,

LGjohnny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master
USB local storage only works with the Arlo Pro base station

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
steve_t
Master Master
Master
USB local storage only works with the Arlo Pro base station
kevin1960
Tutor
Tutor

So I just paid $500 for a system that I can't use the USB storage and have to pay Netgear for they're storage? INSANE!

If that's the case, packing it up and returning it........................

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't have to pay for storage - you get 7 days for free.  Download any videos to keep them forever.

kevin1960
Tutor
Tutor
I'm confused........do I have 7 days from the date I installed or do I have a total of 7 days of recordings that would be kept before it expires? Can you clarify. Thank you for your help!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kevin1960,

The free Basic plan offers 7 rolling days of storage. So, this means videos recorded on day 1 will be automatically deleted on day 8. All content remains on the cloud for 7 days and then is automatically deleted. For more information on this, see here: What are the available Arlo subscription plans and how much cloud storage is available?

JamesC

kevin1960
Tutor
Tutor
Got it! Thanks so much for clearing this up James. And I guess I won't return it after all 😊.
Kevin
LGjohnny
Initiate
Initiate
Thanks Steve
Adewale
Luminary
Luminary

you should totally return it and exchange it for the Arlo Pro system

You get rechargeable batteries and wont have to keep buying batteries

You get local storage via USB

you still get the free 7 days cloud storage

Besides, the Arlo pro is a newer hardware

ez5iron
Tutor
Tutor

try to add usb port to base doesent see usb device. on local storage. loss internet often and need back. tired of BS answers why dosent it work.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ez5iron,

Local storage is only supported when using an Arlo Pro base station, are you using an Arlo Pro base station?

JamesC

testshoot
Initiate
Initiate

So what are the usb ports (2 of them) for on the base station?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
They were originally stated as for future use. That hasn't, and won't, happened. The Pro base is the only one with usable USB ports.
kevin1960
Tutor
Tutor
I agree, very confusing that they have the USB ports there that serve no purpose! Had I known this, would have got the Pro.
My solution is to download what I want and delete what I don't want. Other than the USB issue the cameras work great, I just need faster internet .....lol.
Leadguitarist
Aspirant
Aspirant

So only the pro can use the usb, thats not what the description said on line ! Mis leading and your answer is to return it and spend more money? I call BS on that, they could activate them with firmware updates. 

Spoiler

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Leadguitarist wrote:

So only the pro can use the usb, thats not what the description said on line ! Mis leading and your answer is to return it and spend more money? I call BS on that, they could activate them with firmware updates. 

Spoiler

Where online does it say that the original base can use the USB ports for storage?

Leadguitarist
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not going to argue about where i read it. You obviously have nothing better to do. And before you trash me online remember it is guys and engineers like me that you have the ihternet to waste your time with!

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Who's arguing? I'm just a user asking a question

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I thoroughly researched both the Arlo and Arlo Pro before deciding which to buy, considering the large price difference, made even largerby Best Buy and others offering refurbished Arlos, but not Pro systems at a nice price.

I never at any point found anywhere that said the Arlo had USB ports for local storage, just the Arlo Pro.

I found much of the lack of local storage made up for by another Forum user providing a script which not only downloads all the recordings for a day from the cloud but also changes the file name to a normal date/time stamp (didn't like the cam name being first part of file name so modified it to the end).

Yes it would be nice if Netgear did make the upgrade to making the USB ports also functional on the Arlo or have a low cost upgrade to the Arlo Pro base station, but you can't fairly trash Netgear for not doing so.

And to trash another user who's just trying to help sucks.

1nco
Aspirant
Aspirant

Lol windows does an update and the 7mb connection craps and cameras chunk and grind...... Local option please!!!

steve_t
Master Master
Master

1nco wrote:

Lol windows does an update and the 7mb connection craps and cameras chunk and grind...... Local option please!!!

Local storage is only available on the Arlo Pro base station