Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Two Hubs - 8 cameras - ONE ethernet port available

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
carolbpeter
Follower
Follower

We have 8 cameras - all necessary (wish I had 2 more) - and two hubs.  But, only one ethernet connection available.  I am using the 2nd one for my work computer.   Is there ANY WAY to get both the hubs on one ethernet connection?  Or is there a hub that will handle all 8 cameras?  Really pointless to have the cameras if they're unable to tell us anything.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@carolbpeter wrote:

But, only one ethernet connection available.  I am using the 2nd one for my work computer.  

Best option is to purchase a small gigabit switch.  You can find 5 port switches for $20 USD or less, and that would result in 5 ethernet ports total (not counting the connection between the switch and the router).

@carolbpeter wrote:

We have 8 cameras - all necessary (wish I had 2 more) - and two hubs.   

Or is there a hub that will handle all 8 cameras?  Really pointless to have the cameras if they're unable to tell us anything.

You can connect all the cameras to one hub, but there is a limit of 5 simultaneous streams at once.  So in some situations you would lose recordings.  So I recommend using both, but adding in the switch. 

If practical, put the hubs in different rooms, so you can get a bigger coverage area.  Though that might require some wiring.