Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 45 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
The_Fitz_Dog
Guide
Guide

I jsut upgraded to the new Arlo app by Arlo instead of Netgear - I get the limitations of app naming and companies in the App stores. Everything seems to work like the previous app, but I have a question regarding 2-factor authentication.

I noticed that I can set up a device, but I can not change a device. Let's say I choose my phone and then get a new phone - how would I go about deleting and replacing the device I use for 2-factor authentication?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
The_Fitz_Dog
Guide
Guide

The latest Arlo app update for iOS that came out this past week has resolved the two factor issues I noted in my original post.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The_Fitz_Dog,

Take a look at this article for steps to remove a trusted device: How do I edit two-step verification settings?

JamesC

The_Fitz_Dog
Guide
Guide
JamesC - that partially works. You can add and removes devices for SMS messages, but you can not add or change the trusted device list. I would like to add a trusted device and then remove my existing trusted device and I can not do that.
alexcdiz
Tutor
Tutor

Unfortunately I'm not able to add my PC as a trusted device besides my phone.

The_Fitz_Dog
Guide
Guide

Arlo Team - this can't be that hard. Just about every tech company under the sun lets you update your primary trusted device/number/method for teo factor authentication while still mandating you keep a primary. Look at Apple and Google - they both allow you to add a second trusted device/number/email etc., make it the primary and then delete the other item.

I'm thinking the first person that turn this on, sets up let's say a phone and then has to get a different device/number will be awfully angry that something so simple can not be changed. Why bother enabling two-factor authentication if you can't change your trusted device.

I have read all of the articles that JamesC suggested and nowhere can I find the ability to change the trusted device between the web interface - Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Brave; my iPhone X; nor my iPad (2018).

Naoki
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo Team - I have the exactly same issue. I bought new iPhone. I need to change the trusted device from the old one to the new one. However, the UI does not allow to add new device, nor remove the current one.  Could you explain how to change the trusted device on the list?

jonesaus
Apprentice
Apprentice

i came here as it kept failing when i was trying to add a trusted device to setup two factor, but seems like im better off waiting until they do it properly...

hquintino
Guide
Guide

same problem here… trying to access Arlo account and since 2 factor Authentication, cannot add another trusted device. The only way i can manage is turning 2 Factor Authenttication off, while Arlo soves it...

Vash_
Initiate
Initiate
I upgraded from an iPhone X to an iPhone 11 Pro. Arlo needs to fix their device management for dual factor authentication. Not being able to remove/change the primary device is a major oversight. Arlo should switch to traditional generated codes supported to Google Authenticator or LastPass Authenticator so that the authentication isn’t dependent on push notifications from the Arlo app.
Kiwi_Arlo
Star
Star

I have exactly the same problem. Upgraded to Iphone 11 pro and I can't add it as a trusted device. There is no option to do that in the '2 factor authentication' screen in either the ios app or on the web portal.  And when I'm logged out and need to log back in again, the SMS authentication doesn't work either. I click the SMS option and 'continue' and nothing happens.  Please sort it out Arlo.

Contrafact
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue: iPhone XS to 11 Pro- the app won't allow me to register it as a trusted device or remove the current one. Arlo phone rep told me to just click the trash can as if I didn't try that already. Nothing. Tried a number of things on new phone, old phone, macbook, and windows 10. Nothing. Rep put me on hold for over an hour and a half with no answers. You can add multiple phone numbers as stated but ONE and only one trusted device that you can NEVER change (as of 10/7/19). 

This is obviously a very simple stupid mistake someone overlooked and it should be fixed quickly before people file a class action lawsuit. It is not comforting that your original post is a month old from mine... WHERE IS THE PATCH? 

Only option (as of 10/7/19): Turn off 2-step and, if you sold or traded your phone in for an upgrade, someone is walking around with your only trusted device that you cannot remove from your Arlo account and receiving the codes that you send it. Could it be worse? Sure, but it ain't good... This isn't the reason I bought their equipment. Makes me regret it now.

End thoughts: This is not comforting and makes me wonder how serious they are about cyber security. If anything they should be at the top as the very best. Makes me concerned that I selected Arlo over Nest. Being 2019, it should be fairly obvious that people upgrade devices all the time.

Why would you limit such an important security feature to one mobile device for a whole home/ business network and simultaneously allow the possibility of a stranger having access to said sole device upon upgrading? To boot, not even an Arlo representative can change/reset it for you. It's locked. Feels bad for whoever made the mistake.

Dutchman68
Initiate
Initiate

Hey Arlo,

no reaction at all? Seriously? If you do not react to this post I will sell my Arlo and change to another brand.

Best regards

Ron

BigRedOne
Tutor
Tutor

I enabled authentication in my account and successfully added my phoone, tablet and PC using the "one-time authentication code" sent by SMS. My phone and tablet are recognised as trusted devices but I am asked for an authentication code EVERY time I log in using my PC. What's the fix for that?

raimo
Tutor
Tutor

But how can you edit the properties, if your trusted device is not any more available (e.g. stolen, lost or broken).

Dutchman68
Initiate
Initiate

Needed to deactivate the two factor authentication and reactivate it again. On my new iPhone I got an error message when I tried to add it as trusted device. Needed to delete an reinstall the app. After this procedure I could add the new iPhone as trusted device. Seem that the software is buggy. 

The_Fitz_Dog
Guide
Guide

The latest Arlo app update for iOS that came out this past week has resolved the two factor issues I noted in my original post.

raimo
Tutor
Tutor

my problem is with android app - is there going to be an update there too?

Contrafact
Initiate
Initiate

Update: working as of Oct 26th due to update. Thanks!!

Kiwi_Arlo
Star
Star

I got it to finally accept my new iphone as a trusted device. Downloading the 24 October update was not enough. Then when I tried to add my new phone as a trusted device I got an 'oops! an error has occurred" red banner at the top of the screen.

I had to delete the app entirely and reinstall it. Luckily it saved my settings.  Then I was able to add my new phone as a trusted device.

However the option to delete trusted devices has gone, so I can't delete my old phone.  So still some work to do on the app I'd say.

The_Fitz_Dog
Guide
Guide
If you use the edit button in the upper right in profile settings, a trash can should appear next to the items you can delete. (iOS apps)
Kiwi_Arlo
Star
Star
Ah, thanks. Hadn’t spotted that.
raimo
Tutor
Tutor

Glad to see that this is solved for iOS users, but my problem is with android app - is there going to be an update there too?