Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Two Base Stations - Practical Implications

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Lblando
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an original Arlo system, with a base station and five cameras connected to it.

The range of the base station is not good enough to cover all the cameras. Moving the base station “to a central location” does not solve the problem either. Because of walls, or whatever other reason, there’s a camera that’s always disconnected, no matter where the base station is placed.

As unhappy as I am about this situation (considering that my WiFi router, also by netgear, covers the entire wife with stream-worthy signal strength) I am considering adding an additional base station, as it seems to be the only way to have all five cameras “live”.

I understand how to make this work from a technology perspective. That’s not what this question is about. Instead, I have two specific questions:

(1) I have a “free” account from Arlo. I pay them zero dollars each month. If I add the second base station, and update my account to reflect it, while preserving the same number of cameras, would I need to upgrade my account level and have to start to pay?

(2) Irrespectively, if both stations and five cameras are “on my account”, how’s the experience on my app? Will
I still see the five cams one next to the other even though some are connected to station 1 and some to station 2?

Thanks in advance for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

From someone who has a similar situation and runs 3 base stations.. 

1/ No, you don't have to upgrade.  For plans, it only matters how many cameras you have, not base stations.

2/ The UI experience is visually the same except keep in mind that modes are tied to base stations, not cameras.  For example, if you use Armed & Disarmed as modes, you will have to toggle them on each base station now.

HTH.

- Mark

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Lblando
Aspirant
Aspirant

*entire house

(Not entire wife 🙂 🙂

Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

From someone who has a similar situation and runs 3 base stations.. 

1/ No, you don't have to upgrade.  For plans, it only matters how many cameras you have, not base stations.

2/ The UI experience is visually the same except keep in mind that modes are tied to base stations, not cameras.  For example, if you use Armed & Disarmed as modes, you will have to toggle them on each base station now.

HTH.

- Mark