Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
YYCchopper
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bit of a long post, but here we go...

I was pulling my hair out last night trying to install my Arlo system.  So I have the 4 camera wire free system, and have a network in my home where I have a cable modem, and this signal feeds to my wi-fi router (netgear nighthawk x6) that is set up as an access point.  I have a second wi-fi router (asus AC87U) in my home as well, and this one is set up normally, taking the feed from the cable modem and using this to distrubute the internet signal.  So... theoretically I can add the Arlo base station to either router. (and I have knowledge to go in and change router setting, check port forwarding, etc.)

I tried adding it originally to the Netgear router, and the power/internet lights on the base station were both green, but it would not connect to the account.  Stuck in the detecting device screen. Tried resetting to factory, adding again, still stuck.  So Maybe it wount connect to an access point configured router?  (please confirm)

So I disconnected from here and connected to the ASUS router, which is set up in a normal configuration. Again, both the power/internet lights were green.  the base station got stuck on detecting device again..  what the hell?  So I factory reset the device again, and tried once more.  Success! base station came up on the app. But access to the base station information (on the app) was spotty at best. going between screens on the app it would sometimes show the HW/FW information, but 50% of the time it would get stuck in "retreiving information" stage. 

anyway, I ignored this and tried to sync cameras. I have 4 of them, so did each one individually and ensured the blue light flashed and got connected before doing the next camera.

It looked like all 4 were connected to the base station, but nothing showed up on the app. There were no cameras shown as connected.  

But even though they didn't show up and I couldnt see the camera feeds it was sending me movement alerts when I moved around the room!

So..  not sure what to do.  

I will try, once again, resetting to factory and start over tonight.  

But is there any reason why i can't use the netgear AP configured router? 

Is there some sort of help center telephone line or online chat that can assist with this setup?  Im ready to take it back and go with someone else if I cant even get this up and running easily. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
YYCchopper
Aspirant
Aspirant

fixed.  not sure what happened but customer support reset my account, I reset the base station to factory settings and removed all the batteries from the cameras.  Working fine now. strange

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm gonna let someone else with more knowledge than I get technical but on the surface I don't see why connecting to an AP wouldn't work since you're using Ethernet to connect. What device is you DHCP server? Is there an issue with multiple address ranges being available? Is the Asus connected via Ethernet to the Netgear? Maybe bridging is needed (showing my ignorance here).  I've never set up an access point so I'm not sure of the ins and outs but I'm also not sure that the WiFi part has any effect.

Edit: after rereading your post, you have one modem feeding two routers. I was assuming it was just to the AP and that the Asus was wired to the Netgear ports. I'm guessing that the AP is confused/confusing things with two routers being directly attached to the modem. It sounds like an odd configuration that's well outside of a "normal" home configuration and may be basically an unsupported configuration.

YYCchopper
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is my configuration.  I have sent this via email to support also so I will see what they say. 

network.png

YYCchopper
Aspirant
Aspirant

fixed.  not sure what happened but customer support reset my account, I reset the base station to factory settings and removed all the batteries from the cameras.  Working fine now. strange

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Huh.  Indeed...

yaqoubalkhalaf
Aspirant
Aspirant
How to share n600 rauter to arlo camera
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the router doesn't have the appropriate hardware and firmware, there's nothing to be done. At this point, I believe only the R7000 is capable.  You'd have to keep checking the various Netgear web sites over time to see if any others come out with the capability.

TGaarder
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have beeb trying for the past 3 hours to set this one camera and base on the R7000.  It has been a pain in the ass.  Frustrated! Doesn't even come close, but this is the easiest! Simple directions do not work!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First off, if you're going to use the base, the router doesn't matter.  You just attach the base to the router as normal and set it up using the New System or Add Device selections, depending on how far you've gotten in the process (basically, whether you've already created your account).

If you want to use the R7000, you first need to ensure you have firmware that support Arlo.  In the Basic view, there should be an Arlo in the middle of the choices.  If there's no Arlo button, you can't use the router until you update firmware to a version that has the support.  Right now the only place to get that firmware is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gff35js08j6nzof/R7000-V1.0.6.40_1.1.90.chk?dl=0

It's beta firmware but has been working for me.  If you do need to load this, you need to do a factory reset on your router and set it up again as if brand new.  Arlo is enabled by default but check the setting to be sure.  Use the Add Device button to add the router to your account.  Then you sync the cameras by using the Add Device button again, choosing the camera.  Follow the instructions for using the WPS button on the router and sync button on the camera.