Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
stbiol
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased an Arlo with one camera.  I was able to get the system connected, registered my base using my Android phone, and even connected a camera (what a breeze).  I could see the image on my phone and everything worked great.  I set the camera down so I could screw in the mount onto my ceiling, when I was done with the install, I pulled up my phone and the system did not take my log in.  It says the account was never registered under my e-mail.

No big deal, I thought.  So I went through the New System setup again, however this time it could not find my base station.  I tried resetting the base station, rebooting my router several times no luck.  I went on my router interface and found the Arlo basestation listed (using its serial number) and the appropriate "DHCP" setting next to it.

System Setup:

Arlo Base Station has 3 Green Lights

Router is Motorola NVG589

AT&T U-Verse service provider

I've tried using both my Android Phone (with WiFi enabled) and my Window 8 PC to register the base station.

Not sure what else I can try.  Suggestions?

25 REPLIES 25
stbiol
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE:  I can see the NetGear Base Station on my network but the Arlo setup still cannot find it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Has the router given the base station an IP address?

stbiol
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes it has

AlexP
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the Same Trouble what is the Solution?
GeneG
Guide
Guide

I tried to install my new Arlo system from my Samsung Galaxy S6, but I kept getting a "can't find the base station" error message. I tried all the recommended fixes numerous times, including the ones for the base station and for my Cisco E4200 router, all without success.  Then I tried to access the setup program on my Acer Inspire laptop/tablet -- with instant success.  Suggestion:  If your smartphone won't let you in, try another source for the setup!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the phone on WiFi for setup? If not, you can't use the phone to even access the system. Once it's set up, you can use any network.

GeneG
Guide
Guide

Yes, the phone was on the same system, but it was unstable. After I set up the system on my laptop, the app on my phone responded to alerts.

GeneG
Guide
Guide

After nearly 3 weeks of living with this system, I have worked out most of the problems.  The initial setup was much easier with my laptop than the smartphone, but I can receive alerts now on the phone.  I believe this is an excellent system for patient do-it-yourself fans, as it is completely wireless and physical installation is simple.  The setup, though, requires a willingness to proceed by trial and error, as the instructions are inadequate. The sensitivity had to be adjusted downward in my system in order to avoid false calls from stray cats, rustling leaves and bats(!). The detection delay is disappointing, but I got around that problem by installing a second camera further along the path of interest, then pairing the cameras (in Rules) so they operate together.

I have the following recommendations for Netgear:

1. Hire an English major to install an Arlo system, then write a detailed instruction manual. (Note: Apple did just that when they introduced the first Macintosh.)

2. Improve the detection time in your next update.

3. Offer a version of the Arlo camera in a dark, dull finish for customers looking for a less conspicuous installation.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GeneG,

I am glad to hear you were able to get the system installed so that it will perform to your expectations. Given the variables of each environment it sometimes can be challenging to find the perfect conditions. Thank you for the feedback on your experience as well as your suggestions on improving Arlo!

Regards,

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The following article may prove useful for those having trouble setting up a base station for the first time. I encourage users experiencing issues to take a look!

How do I enter the Arlo Base Station serial number?

Thank you!

JamesC

Rtuason
Aspirant
Aspirant
Bought system from a friend. He disabled his account and im trying to set up the basestation by reseting it but its not resetting the power and internet light stays green
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

have you tried the RESET and SYNC button at same time for a factory re-set ?

If your base station is registered to someone else or an account that you do not have access to: The following steps can be helpful if you bought the system from another user who did not fully deactivate it from their account or if you find that the above steps are not working. 

Performing a factory reset will "release" the serial number and allow you to proceed with the registration process. To perform a factory reset: 

1. Press and hold the base station Sync button (located on the side of the base station) and simultaneously use a pen or straightened paperclip to press and hold the base station Reset button (located on the back of the base station):

3.png

2. Press both buttons at the same time and hold for about 10 seconds. If your reset is successful, all the LED lights on the front of the base station will flash amber as shown below:

4.png

3. After the amber lights stop flashing, give your base station about one minute to reboot itself. Then try the set-up process again by clicking on New System Setup at the login screen and following the prompts.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Rtuason
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes ive tried that held it down for 30 seconds and lights never turned orange. Power and internet stayed green.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If your reset is successful, all the LED lights on the front of the base station will flash amber as shown below:

obv either, the base is defective or the button pushes were not completed correctly.. since the base does have green lights, I would think the latter.

The reset (inside) made not  be directly in, use a paperclip, you should feel the 'button click'.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rtuason,

We are in the process of updating the article to which TomMac is referring. Consider pressing and holding ONLY the reset button on the back of the base station until all LEDs flash amber. This should factory reset the base station and return it to it's original settings. This was changed with the most recent update to the Arlo system.

JamesC

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Thanks for the correction James... it was unknown here

Rtuason
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes after speaking with cust.serv instructions stated to hold dow both buttons however only the reset was supposed to be held down..fixed my issue..on to another in setting the motion sensativity
PeteInOz
Aspirant
Aspirant

G'day James,

I am a relatively new owner of a 3 camera Arlo system and would like to offer the following observations and a major recommendation for a basestation(s) software update.

On first imprsession, the installation of the Arlo is relatively painless. However, the basestation has little in the way of direct configuration. Given that the basestation and camera operate on the 2.4Ghz frequency, I feel many connection problems are more related to lack of channel separation and interference than anything else.

As an example, and as a retired network engineer myself, I have found on occasion (using a wifi analyser) that the Alro basestation is occupying the same channel space as my main wifi router, which can cause significant degradation of the wifi space. 

Upon startup/restart, the Arlo clearly tries to search and find a relatively free channel to operate in but I believe one should be able to manual set the channel allocation so as to reduce the possibility of interference from close proximity wifi devices. I believe this would not only help eliminate interference between the main router and the Arlo, but also possibly improve the performance of the wifi cameras also (i.e. depending upon where the cameras are located and depending upon other external sources of electircal or wifif interference then a camera's performance could be impacted).

In addition, I would think such a feature would also be important and improve the performance of more than one basestation in a specific location.

Whilst I accept that Netgear has tried to develop a relatively simple plug and play systerm, I feel Netgear could easily add this additonal feature quickly so as to empower the end user to possibly take control and overcome some local environmental issues.

I hope this helps ....

PeteInOz

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hi Pete....

Yes your correct.  I think the choice was based on simplicity with most bases being installed near the wifi/router.

The only way we found to change the Arlo base was;

1) move it far enough away from you current wifi and it MAY pick a cleaner channel

2) change your base wifi to a clean channel and start up the Arlo base... Arlo base will sit on the same channel.  Then go back and change your wifi to a diff clean channel.

PeteInOz
Aspirant
Aspirant

G'day Tom,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions mate. 

Whilst your suggestions are sound, I believe my recommendation for some manual intervention and configuration of the basestation would help some people overcome possible local environmental situations and allow them to tweak their systems for maxium performance.

Given my own analysis, and given the configuration and the length of ethernet cable supplied with the ARLO,  I suspect there will be some people who might be suffering interference and some degradation of their local wifi environment (and that of the ARLO) as the output power of the ARLO is quite high by comparison to a main wifi router. This of course is somewhat understandable so as to provide maximum range for the cameras. 

However, I had pervously analysed my wifi enviroment and as such had manually configured my main router to a specific channel with a 24/7 uptime. Hoiwever, since owning the ARLO, I have found it twice to be occupying the same channel allocation after some elapsed time (i.e. it will initially search for a clear channel and may pick a channel other than the main router but then assume the same channel some time later), which did prove problematic for my environment. 

In order to overcome this, I am lucky in that I also have a limited wired distribution within the house and so I was able to relocate the ARLO away from the main router. However, I would not have needed to do this if the basestation was configurable so as to allow me to provide fixed channel separation.  I guess that's the point I was trying to make in my previous post.

However, I can't discount that perhaps the system has been specifically designed in this way because the cameras might provide interference detection and relay that information back to the basestation, and then based upon all available information, the basestation makes a valued judgement about which channel to occupy (i.e. if a camera(s) is located some distance away from the basestation and is impacted by a foriegn wifi source then it might relay back to the basestation the best channel for it's circumstance upon which the basestation makes an intelligent decision about which channel to occupy. I am not sure that the system is that smart, but in any case, I hope Netgear will consider my observations and recommendation for any future firmware upgrade.

Cheers

Peter

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have my base station is right next to my Asus RT-N66U high powered dual band router and I have no problems you relate. I certainly can understand your analysis but it doesn't seem to be universal. I don't know or understand the theory Netgear uses in determining that using the same channel as the router allows minimal interference and that would be key in understanding the issues.

JBL77
Aspirant
Aspirant
When I try to restart the base with reset button and sync .
The power light is amber and the house stays green.
I have deactivated the base from my side ?
Do the other person I gave permission to have to deactivate as well in order to fully try the reset ? Brand new system had no problems till storm came thru
Please help
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the reset button alone until the LEDs flash.  The use of the sync button is no longer required and will, in fact, cause the base to NOT reset.

Springfield1
Aspirant
Aspirant

After installing the base station which show 3 green lights, when using the android app it tells me that i musty be connected to a wifi network, I am.Need help