Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Thumbnail no longer shows first frame of video

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

I no longer see the triggering event in the thumbnail.  When I play a video, what was used as the thumbnail is actually coming from about 1/2 way through the video.  This is useless.  If the triggering event is a person at my door, that's what I need to see in the thumbnail, not an empty doorfront because they've now walked away.

What would also be *very* helpful is if the thumbnail got sent at the same time as the notification (yes, even before the camera has turned off), so we can know if we need to manually start the camera and interact, rather than waiting for the camera to stop recording.

4 REPLIES 4
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Macahi

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? I do not want to suggest anything you may have previously performed, but I do have a few questions for you.

- What Phone/Device/Model/OS are you using?

- What version of the Arlo Mobile App are you using?

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

I haven't taken any trouble-shooting steps.  Are you telling me that the thumbnail is generated locally rather than on the server?  I find that difficult to believe.

1/2-way through is hyperbole, but I looked at several videos today, and the thumbnail frame is from a good 3-4 seconds *after* the initial frame of the video.  I noticed it yesterday when I was reviewing recordings.  I opened a video that had no one in it based on the thumbnail.  When I played the video, from the very first frame there was someone walking toward and past the camera - this was the triggering event - until that person was out of frame 3-4 seconds later.  The thumbnail was from a frame after the person was out of frame.  I have confirmed this same behavior on multiple videos.

I'm on the newest v. of the IOS app, 2.9.1 (1134) but this isn't an app issue.  The behavior is visible on the app and in the browser (FF on Mac).

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Macahi

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS 

It has nothing to do with my set up.  It's your software.  I'm asking for an answer as to weather or not Arlo is working on this defect and when we cane expect a fix.