Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
hawkeye4500
Guide
Guide

I have read several complaints with sunlight and false reading and read several answers and none seem to work, so I want to know what Netgear has instore to correct the problem. Not send me a picture point the camera at the ground, I'm compleately aware there is a problem as so should Netgear, so what is the fix? This is advertised to be used outdoors but from what I can see these should only be used indoors according to all of the problems I have read with the same issue. 

What is the fix or are you even working on trying to correct this problem, really hurts to buy a camera for the outdoors that I must turn off due to false readings from sun bursts. 

11 REPLIES 11
manfredz
Hero
Hero

sunlight is not a problem with proper positioning.  I have 4 cameras and do get false readings caused by wind, but not by the sun.

hawkeye4500
Guide
Guide

Seems proper positiong may require indoors only, I have moved this camera to avoid sunbursts and no mater where I move it as soon as the sun moves later in the day I have the same issue, not really a choice to avoid the sun as it moves around the earth.

Just looking for a fix to the issue I have even tried a pair of sunglasses over the sensor but at that point no motion is detected. Just disapointed with the issue and hope there is an answer to fix the problem, so I don't have to continue to turn it off on sunny days.   

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's actually not the leaves moving, per se, but the sun's IR being reflected​ from them. As long as PIR detectors are used it can be an issue.

One way around it is to creat a custom mode with less sensitivity to add to the schedule when this is a problem. It will take some effort to determine what a good level is so keep working on it.
hawkeye4500
Guide
Guide

I appreciate your answer and I have read what you have said in the past to other customers with the same issue. I just find it hard to believe that one must go to this extreme to solve a problem for a product that is advertised to work outdoors, I didn't realize I had signed up to be a test to find out what worked and didn't work for this product. Sure I can point it to the ground and have no sunburst, if that is the case what is the sense of having this product. If I'm not mistaken you want to be able to look out and away. 

Very disapointed with this product, great concept poor execution. Just don't seem right to go through experiments to get it to work and still not have it work as described. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We're here to try to help maximize the utility. Since these are motion detection cameras rather than 24/7 streaming, certain assumptions and design compromises have to be used. The use of PIR detctors come with their strengths and weaknesses, just as they are obvious in other products like motion detection lights.  It requires trial and error for best operation and an understanding that one size doesn't fit all needs. There are limitations to any technology and different companies design around them differently.  That may be one reason that there are Arlo Q cameras which use a totally different detection scheme, although it's also a powered camera.

We've all had to figure out where to best place the cameras and what settings work for us.  I've had my cameras starting over 2 years ago and I'm still adjusting and making new modes as circumstances change.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

One trick that works for some situations is you basically use one cam to detect motion and set a rule that a second cam that views the area you want monitored to then start recording.  eg.  One cam watching the walkway triggering recording of the cam watching the door or even being inside behind a window.

hawkeye4500
Guide
Guide

Thanks for confirming what I thought they don't work as described out of the box, I didn't buy these to have a project and continue to move these around and find what works best for the camera but to use them where I need them. Sounds like I bought a lemon. Like I said in the past post these should be used as indoor cameras period. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can believe what you want but I use these cameras exclusively outdoors.  Within certain limitations, they work fine.  If you're not willing to use a little time and effort, there's nothing we can do to help.  Good luck with any similar cameras you try.

hawkeye4500
Guide
Guide

Within certain limitations that tells me they don't work as described. I have put the time in and have even tried odd things like adding sun glasses to them to stop the problem. Would be nice to hear from someone from Arlo as to what they have to say, 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hawkeye4500,

It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

As mentioned above, false triggers due to IR reflecting off of shiny surfaces (leaves) can cause false triggers. You might consider adjusting camera sensitivity to compensate for this: How do I change the motion sensitivity on my Arlo camera?

You should also take a look at the tips in this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

JamesC

TylerD
Initiate
Initiate

As I sit here and type I have received detection messages every minute for the past hour due to sunlight on my back yard camera.  I have re-positioned this camera in no less than 4 different spots looking for the right placement that will not detect sunlight.  Each time I move the camera I spend hours working with the motion detection sensitivity as well as the brightness level.  My camera is angled down at 45 degrees.  I do have concrete in the screenshot which may be bouncing sunlight off of it, but the area I need to capture has concrete in it.  There are no waving tree branches, leaves, bugs, etc causing detection.  I have used all of the suggestions I have read in these forums to no avail.  I also saw a hack where you cut PVC tubing making a "shade" and flipping the camera upside down and then covering the battery compartment with tape to fix the issue.  I'm not sure if this works but why would I go through that trouble when the camera should work without going all "McGyver" on it and modifying it?  If I can't get this fixed Costco will receive my return.