Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Strange thumbnail

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Brskating
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all,

I just logged on to check a motion alarm on one of my Arlo cameras and a very weird preview thumbnail appeared.

See screen grab below (Picture from my camera blacked out):

And again (Now on both the play and preview):

Who is this? And why is this happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been corrected and should not be seen moving forward. The thumbnail produced was the result of internal testing and only affected a small percentage of users. Rest assured none of your recordings or images have been compromised. Please let us know if you continue to see this moving forward! Again, none of your private images or recordings were produced as thumbnails as a result of this testing.

Thank you!

JamesC

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
clongbot
Aspirant
Aspirant

GDAY,

I get exactly the same thumb image on a few of my email alerts as well from 2 different base stations.

Thanks,

Craig.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is it possible that camera has a weaker signal due to distance from the base station or other interference (Arlo uses the 2.4GHz band for it's WiFi connection between cameras and base and there are tons of appliances that use the same band)? I've had a few of these issues but few and far between and usually happen at the beginning of the clip.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

You guys are not alone.. I get it too.. This is a hiccup from the Server between Arlo or your ISP.. I don't think this is interference.. My one camera is close to the base and full signal.. 

skoobanul
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm getting the exact same thumbnail image; a guy sitting? walking? with a whiteboard behind him and a TV on the right side - or so it seems. So it can't be interference, because we're all from different parts of the world.

What worries me most, is that if I get to see someone else's thumbnail, does my thumbnail show up on other people's accounts too? In that case there's something wrong with our privacy protection!!!

Does Arlo/Netgear read these forums as well or do we have to submit a case?

skoobanul
Aspirant
Aspirant

I decided to contact Netgear about this (chat). They read this thread as well, I gave them the link so they could check out what's happening and see the thumbnail. This is the answer I got:

"Well, this is weird. This might be a problem with the server. I will raise this one to the appropriate department for them to be able to check this one. I am thinking that this is a server glitch. I can not provide you an exact reason of the problem for now. As soon as I have the answer from them, I will get back to you."

They might provide an answer about it on this thread. If they don't, then I'll post again after I hear back from them!

Diane11
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for escalating this right away. I received it, too.  Seems like a big privacy issue to me if someone else can see even a glimpse of what could be on my personal cameras. I hope they address this clearly.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been corrected and should not be seen moving forward. The thumbnail produced was the result of internal testing and only affected a small percentage of users. Rest assured none of your recordings or images have been compromised. Please let us know if you continue to see this moving forward! Again, none of your private images or recordings were produced as thumbnails as a result of this testing.

Thank you!

JamesC

skoobanul
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for addressing this issue so quickly!

I'm sure we'll all be checking our thumbnails thoroughly from now on, and if something comes up, we'll inform you.

Patricia

bladimiro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you guys

I feel no alone

quick response

I hope too do not happen again

have a good Day!! including everyone here

regards

Bladimiro

Brskating
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response JamesC.

Can you elaborate on the problem that occurred and where that thumbnail came from?

Brskating

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Brskating,

The thumbnail was produced by the development team during testing. I don't have any additional information in regard to what caused the issue but I do know that the only potential images that resulted from the testing were internal. If I do get more information I will be sure to let you know but for the time being this should no longer occur.

Thank you!

JamesC