Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Someone elses Arlo keeps changing to my wifi channel

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Reidlos
Follower
Follower

So I read that this Arlo camera system tries to share the same channel as the netgear routers, well I have a neighbor (buissness below me) and I am apparently close enough to keep having thier channel change to mine no mater which i change mine too.  My default SSID was NETGEAR75 and this is called NETGEAR-arlo-XXXXX (XX= numbers)  i changed the SSID and channel but its copying my csame channel with a very simular BSSID.

Anything I can do?

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Reidlos,

The Arlo base station is designed to follow the channel of the closest wireless router. You may be able to alleviate the issue by relocating your wireless router or requesting the owner of the Arlo base station locate his base closer to the router it is connected to.

For more on this topic take a look at this discussion: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/Is-it-possible-to-change-the-wifi-channel/m-p...

I hope this helps!

JamesC

Gerry_D
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why?

OK, explain this to me... If I set my Asus RT-N16 (running Tomato) to a channel, the ARLO base station tracks and goes to the same channel.

Why?

Logically a signal on the same frequency will cause interference and degrade performance.

Is there a way to LOCK the ARLO to a specific channel?

Why not?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gerry_D,

The Arlo base station is designed to follow the channel of the closest wireless router. You may be able to alleviate the issue by relocating your wireless router or requesting the owner of the Arlo base station locate his base closer to the router it is connected to.

For more on this topic take a look at this discussion: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/Is-it-possible-to-change-the-wifi-channel/m-p...

I hope this helps!

JamesC

Gerry_D
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks James,

I saw that, but don't agree with it.

Crosstalk as mentioned is very high when they are on the same channel.

I URGE the so called engineers to take a look at these posts in other forums;

http://serverfault.com/questions/152920/what-happens-when-wifi-channels-overlap

and

http://superuser.com/questions/474280/considerations-about-using-multiple-wireless-access-points-wit...

In my humble opinion, (33 years of government electronics with automated test stations and tactical satellite ground stations), there is NO NEED for it to "follow" the strongest wifi signal. It has a wired connection and technically should AVOID a strong wifi signal to prevent interference.

I guess I will attempt to move the "base station" behind a brick wall so my wifi returns to a point as good as it once was.

Or switch to a wired system as this one seems to have been put into production before it was fully tested.

Gerry

Gerry_D
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well James,

I found an answer.

I set the Arlo base station around the corner in my basement, against a cinder block wall.

It had maintained itself on channel 6 while my router has channel 9 all to itself and speeds, according to a speed test app, have returned to pre Arlo status.

But here's one funny part for you.

I moved the base station, and waited until it found the cameras and the Internet. All was working just fine.

Then the next day I tried to access it from work and it would not connect .

For a few days it just was not working.

Late last night I remembered to trouble shoot the problem.

It took a few days to remember as I have a somewhat exhausting job.

Well I looked at the base station and the LEDs were out!

I looked where I had it plugged in and it was on a switched outlet that I use for my printer.

It was on the first night because I had used the printer and when I shut down my computer, as well as the printer, the power to the Arlo bast station was cut off!

Ya' gotta be careful where you plug it in! 

DUH !!!

Gerry

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

good to hear it's fixed and you can laugh now.

think we've all been there at times

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------