Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Solar Panel and Rechargeable Batteries.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
wilkerson12820
Aspirant
Aspirant

I see people adding power supplies to Arlo cameras. Cool idea if you are indoors or near a AC power source. And the new ability to add a solar panels to Arlo Pro cameras. With the rechargable batteries we can use in Arlo cameras. Can we not add a 6V solar panel to our Arlo cameras? As long as we have a rechargable battries in them? Or do we need to use 12v solar panel? Long time since my electronics class days.

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro cams require a very tight spec on the 6v solar panels to work properly... netgear sells them

I would be careful using third party solar panels, have seen some "fried" cams

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
wilkerson12820
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I have seen the solar panels for the pro cameras. But do they sell a solar panel kit for the regular Arlo? If not what if you pop in some rechargable battries and use a 6v solar panel. Think that would work?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect you'll need a higher voltage (8v?) panel to charge the batteries.

wilkerson12820
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes true. So If I did that. How would I keep the 8v from going into the camera? And overcharging the battries? I planned to install a solar charge controller but I only can see 6v and 12v. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect that would take some reverse engineering. We know that rechargeables start at ~4.2v  which the camera handles with no problem. Maybe there's a built-in regulator or there's just sufficient margin from the specific components.