Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Dlamonta
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo solar panel connected to my Arlo Go camera.  Due to cold conditions the charging efficiency has dropped, and for several days the charging has been suspended and my battery is now very low (less than 10%).  We are starting to enter a warmer period where temps will be above 40 degrees, with low camera use, will the solar panel charge the battery back up to full?   Until this recent cold snap, the solar panel consistely kept the battery at full charge (the orientation of the panel and sun exposure is solid).   Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Dlamonta wrote:

I have an Arlo solar panel connected to my Arlo Go camera.  Due to cold conditions the charging efficiency has dropped, and for several days the charging has been suspended and my battery is now very low (less than 10%).  We are starting to enter a warmer period where temps will be above 40 degrees, with low camera use, will the solar panel charge the battery back up to full?   Until this recent cold snap, the solar panel consistely kept the battery at full charge (the orientation of the panel and sun exposure is solid).   Thanks. 

Yes, if there's enough sun light on the panel for long enough to compensate for usage and then some, then the battery will recharge to the full 100% according to the system, though it may take a number of days. The additional charge via the charging station is something you shouldn't worry about

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
brh
Master
Master

Mine usually charge back to full capacity within a few hours after the temperature rises above 32F. (Bear in mind that full capacity for a solar charge is only 80% even though it says 100%. This is for Protection). I believe that if you purchase the charging station, it will charge the battery to a true 100%. Might give you a few more operating days when the cold weather comes back. 

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Dlamonta wrote:

Yes, if there's enough sun light on the panel for long enough to compensate for usage and then some, then the battery will recharge to the full 100% according to the system, though it may take a number of days. The additional charge via the charging station is something you shouldn't worry about

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that the angle of the sun is much lower than during the summer. To get best efficiency from the panel, you may need to change the angle of the panel a couple of times a year.

mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

The last discussion on the solar panel a few months ago was that it was buggy and only working a week or so before either displaying that it was not an acceptable source of power (nothing to do with the sunlight), or suddely completely draining the battery of the camera. 

The recommended solution was to open the camera and take out the battery, charge it via AC and then put it back in and/or switch out the camera. This all had nothing to do with sunlight as I had used the app to angle it and this was back in the late summer/fall when we had good warm weather.

I experienced both of the problematic symptoms mentioned and since it takes me an airplane flight to get to my cameras, I unplugged the solar panel and ditched the idea until the problems were rectified.

So does this mean that some past firmware update solved the solar panel problems?

brh
Master
Master

Both of mine have been working perfectly since I installed them a couple of months ago, (with the batteries in).

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

mhnatt wrote:

So does this mean that some past firmware update solved the solar panel problems?

Yes. No problems at all. No error messages. Battery fully charges each day and surprisingly charges even when it's quite overcast. I kinda wish it was smaller but then I worry about charging efficiency. They'd be less conspicuous to mount if they were smaller