Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

So Far, Pretty Disappointing, cannot live stream from work

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Cheryl_k
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, Maybe someone can help. I set up my cameras last night, and could see some live, although the sensitivity was inconsistant at best and the lag is really bad.  Went to access live view today while at work and NONE of the cameras can connect.  The base station is in the house (stone), so I am guessing it is too far away, however I can connect fine at home.  We only havea wi-fi extender in the Garage, not router.  Should I plug the base station in to the wi-fi extender as that's closer to the cameras?

So far, the $500 I spent is not providing the peace of mind intended...

3 REPLIES 3
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
Many times corporate networks have security features enabled where they don't allow certain communication to go through.

Try using a mobile device on a data connection, rather than your employer's network or WiFi to eliminate the possibility of a secured network not allowing you full Internet access.

If you can connect to your cameras when at home, then you should have no problems when you're away, because the video goes through the Netgear cloud servers whether you're viewing from home or away.
Cheryl_k
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply...Yeah, so I have to use my data on my mobile if no wi-fi is available.  Can you speak to the possibility of putting the base station in the garage connected to the Wi-Fi extender and the sensitivity>? I literally drove slowly up the driveway, turned around, came back down and the camera recorded none of it.  I can't sit and watch the camera all day while I'm at work.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Closer location of the base can help but that's usually for a weak signal that's causing short battery life and/or massive lag, not sensitivity itself.  I suppose anything's possible and if it's easy enough to accomplish, give it a try.

The lack of motion detection is usually (but not always) caused by the exact camera location and positioning.  Some screenshots from your cameras could be useful to make better suggestions but the basics are 1) motion ACROSS the field of view, not to/from the camera and 2) starting near an edge.