Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Smarthub VMB4540 Remote Access to Local Storage

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Goe
Follower
Follower

I have an Arlo Smarthub VMB4540 with local recording enabled which is working. I can access the local recordings on my iPhone (and from an iPad) when I am on the same Wi-Fi network). I have tried, several times to access my local recordings remotely through my mobile telephone carrier using a VPN to my router and also several times using port forwarding. When I try to download the local recordings, I receive the message that the recordings are not available. I contacted support whose answer was to contact my ISPN. The VPN when enabled works fine. I have been unable to get a port forwarding connection after following the Arlo instructions and router instructions precisely. Arlo support was of no help. Can anyone offer any help? Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Goe wrote:

I have tried, several times to access my local recordings remotely through my mobile telephone carrier using a VPN to my router and also several times using port forwarding. 

Are you saying that your router is connected via a mobile broadband network?  Unfortunately, this won't work.  Mobile networks (including mobile broadband) don't allow inbound (remote) connections to your hotspot/router.  You can confirm this by checking the status of the forwarded ports with this tool:

If not, then please let us know the internet service provider you are using at home.  Also the router manufacturer/model.  A link to the router user manual would also be helpful.