Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
OurHattonHome
Star
Star

This is regarding the Android app. Since the last updatae which is dated 5/26/18 Geofencing is not working correctly. Geofencing set on 2 phones and when both Out of Zone one phone is showing as In Zone all the time even though the map shows it located Out of Zone. Also setting the schedule is a pain.  Unable to set system to be armed from 8pm until 7am unless 2 schedules are set up, 8pm-12am and 12am-7am. Also setting a schedule to arm starting at 8pm until 12:00am I get an error saying the stop time should be after the start. This is on the phone but not on the PC browser. Also when I set the two schedules using the PC browser for 12:00am to 7:00am for all 7 days, when reviewing the schedule on the phone it shows the armed time to only occur on Monday. This has been a pain and keeps the system from working as I want. I do not feel my home is secured against instrusion. What is going on and when do you expect to fix these issues?

64 REPLIES 64
KMBert123
Initiate
Initiate

I have an Arlo Pro VMB4000r3 model.  As of 1 June 2018 my geofencing stopped working properly.  I am using it on a Samsung Galaxy s8 Plus.  It recognizes that I am outside the zone, but will not arm.  Also the scheduling does not work properly either, when set on the geofencing mode.  It had worked well for a little over a year.  I am seeing this is an ongoing issue with Arlo, how long until there is a resolution in this matter or should I get a different companies system?  

andrasj
Initiate
Initiate

I tried to use the geolocation feature of Arlo Q with the Android app, but it makes me frustrated when it's truning on or off automatically, when I'm well away (at least 5 kilometers) from my home. Usually every day there are 2 occassions when this happen:

• Geolocation enabled, detection turning OFF when I'm not at home (and only my device - Nexus 5X - is synced to the feature) - I have to manually switch to "armed" in these cases
  • Geolocation enabled, detection turning ON when I'm actually at home - I have to manually switch to "disarmed" in these cases

Is there any fix coming in the near future for this pressing issue?

Regards,
András

mep123
Apprentice
Apprentice

@KMBert123 wrote:

I have an Arlo Pro VMB4000r3 model.  As of 1 June 2018 my geofencing stopped working properly.  I am using it on a Samsung Galaxy s8 Plus.  It recognizes that I am outside the zone, but will not arm.  Also the scheduling does not work properly either, when set on the geofencing mode.  It had worked well for a little over a year.  I am seeing this is an ongoing issue with Arlo, how long until there is a resolution in this matter or should I get a different companies system?  

I'm having the same problem. Using a Samsuing Galaxy S9.

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

Geofencing has been really spotty since at least March. It was not working for 2 months at all. Then it seemed to be pretty good for a bit, now it isn't. For me the only thing I can think of was the Androiad Oreo update.

BUT... my wife's phone updated, and her geofencing is fine. The App seems to know where she is all the time. For my phone, it's totally random. I am sitting in my home office at the moment, the app shows I am out of zone while she is in zone. Sometimes it shows me home when I am, other times when I am away it shows me as out. But sometimes it is completely wrong. Like it is just guessing, with a 50% chance of being right.

The irony? Her phone has been working with the Arlo app perfectly without having to mess with anything since the update. I went through all the normal stuff to get the app working, I tried (in order) going into the Geofencing setup and unchecking my phone as an enabled device, saving and restarting the app and re-enabling. Then deleting the cache, then deleting all files, then uninstalling the app and reinstalling it fresh.

Nothing helps.

H4wks
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having the same issues with regard to improper geofencing.

I can be outside of the zone and the Arlo app shows me as 3-4 miles outside of the circle however I'll all of a sudden get a notification saying geofencing is now in 'Home' mode, which is quite frustrating as my cameras are therefore not recording motion when I'd like them to.  Similar issues when I'm actually at home and the app suddenly sends me a notification saying Arlo is now in 'Away' mode!

I'm using a Samsung S9 if that's relevant.

mrredskin
Initiate
Initiate

Galaxy s8, Oreo software, and geofencing still not working for me, either.  GPS shows me within zone but modes do not change.

Still no fix after months, eh, netgear?

McOrion
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I activated Geofencing with two oprions:
ACTIVE when I am not at home
SCHEDULE when I am at home [00:00-08:00 and 21:00-23:59]

I would expect cameras to activate at 9pm (21:00) but nothing, when I am at home cameras stay OFF all the time. If I turn select ACTIVE they work. If I select SCHEDULE they work. If I select GEOFENCING I can be at home of fram from home, no way they work.

Address is working (and, anyway, shouldn't them recognize where I am, at 9pm they should activate). Anytime I select GEOFENCING cameras go in deactivate mode (In Italian app, first menu "Modalità", Mc Arlo Pro says "Disattivata" which means Deactivated).

Is it a known bug or what?
McOrion

ArloKiwi
Initiate
Initiate

I have exactly the same issue, did you ever solve this or get a reply?

cheers ArloKiwi

SydneyShelby
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue!! Any idea how to fix?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

SydneyShelby, ArloKiwi

What device are you using? have you checked to see if you are using any type of power saver modes?

DjIntrigue
Tutor
Tutor

Anything Yet? this is getting ridiculous !!!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Verymad
Guide
Guide
Same problem with Samsung s9.
Upgraded from old iphone. Worked fine with that. Geofencing has never worked correctly with s9, even prior to arlo updates.
Basically my system is useless.
Verymad
Guide
Guide

My geofencing hasn't worked correctly since I switched from an old iphone to Samsung galaxy s9. Long before current arlo upgrade to app.
My system is basically useless. I'm sitting at home now, geofencing on, and it just notified me it's in away mode.

MattTheHuman
Initiate
Initiate

Having the same issues. Geofencing doesn't honor the schedule set when at home.

Also noticed that with my Huawei P20 Pro, 90% of the time it doesn't update location, even when opening the app and looking at device location.

enjoychewy
Apprentice
Apprentice
Shayne, geofencing for app v2.6.2-22800 for Android is not working. It's seriously frustrating and I and several of my friends are experiencing the same old unreliable, often useless "geofencing" feature. So horrible, we've all been telling others to stay clear of your products. I hope you can change this. Anyway, running Android 7 which unfortunately is the latest for my phone, but friends are running Oreo with same issues. Arlo on geofencing arms. But doesn't disarm when reentering. App has all permissions required and is off battery optimisation list. I've already spoken to your team about this previous with geofencing not working earlier this year. Then it worked okay for a short period and died again. Leads me to think your team might not know what the issue even is???
ArloKiwi
Initiate
Initiate
I'm using a Samsung Note 8. No power saving is being used and app has even been added to the unmonitored list so it can use as much power as and when it likes.
nappleton
Guide
Guide

Geofencing and Scheduling no longer seem to work together. Previously I had successfully been able to use Geofencing to set "Armed" when all devices where outside the Geofenced area and set to "Scheduled" (running one of two Modes depending on time of day) when all devices were within the Geofenced area. However, recently Geofencing only seems to set "Armed" when devices are outside the Geofenced area and "Disarmed" (instead of one of the Scheduled Modes) when devices are within the area. Anyone else expering the same issue?

Not sure exactly when this stopped working, but it had worked correctly in the past.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

nappleton,

Have you tried to reboot the base station? Did you apply any power saving features or change any location settings on the phone? CAn you try and change the away to armed and back to your schedule and test again?

Chris124
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having the same problem.  None of the things listed fixes it.  Why is it that when we have problems with devices, companies always expect us to do all these things to try and fix the problem.  It's an Arlo problem, do the trouble shooting on your end and fix it.  Maybe you don't because you do not have your own devices because you know they don't work well.

nappleton
Guide
Guide
I have rebooted the base multiple times, that has not worked. No changes have been made to the device power settings, looking at Arlo the devices are being correct detected as in or out of the Geofenced zone.

In the settings I have "Away" set to Armed, mode that works fine. The issue is for "Home" I have it set to "Scheduled", but instead of using the Scheduled Modes when devices are within the Geofenced zone Arlo instead goes to "Disarmed" even though that isn't one of the modes in the Schedule settings.

Thanks
cmj22
Initiate
Initiate

We had a roommate move in recently, and "Granted Her Access" and then checked the box for her to be included in the "Enabled Devises" options. Its shows that she is "In Zone" when she is there and "Out of Zone" when she is gone, but does not switch to "Disarmed" status when she is the only one home. 

Any thoughts on how to fix this? Defeats the purpose of this feature.... 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

nappleton,

What device are you using & what OS is this running?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

cmj22,

Does she have any power saving features enabled on the phone? This can cause inaccurate information when trying to communicate with the servers. Does the phone have any special characters in the name, iphone's, her_iPhone? etc.