Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Short battery life. How to reset camera or should I replace it?

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

I have 2 Arlo systems, each with 2 cameras. For the longest time (over a year) no problems with anything (except the app, whole other story) but about 5 months ago I started experiencing extremely short battery life ( between 3 days and 2 weeks) with one camera. I am using Tenergy rechargeable batteries, I thought at first the batteries were bad but through a process of trial and error quickly learned it was one particular camera. All other cameras are averaging 3-4 months. Amount of activity in front of the cameras is minimal, in fact for a while the bad camera was in an unoccupied home with no recording triggers. All firmware is latest versions.

At first I thought it might be in a marginal location for connectivity. but placing the camera within 10 feet of the router made no difference. I have tried deleting the camera from the base station and re-pairing. I have tried deleting the camera, rebooting the base station and re-pairing. I have removed batteries for a week before re-pairing.

Nothing seems to work, this camera just drains the batteries to nothing in a few days. If I recharge the batteries and put them in another camera they work fine for months, cells that were fine in another camera drain in days in this camera.

There is no doubt that the camera has issues. It was fine, then started having problems out of the blue, long out of warranty.

Does anyone know any trick to reset this camera in a way that might resolve this or should I just replace it?

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think you're at the replacement stage but I'd suggest opening a case with support first to see if they have insight (logs, etc.):

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

WestNE
Tutor
Tutor

Similar issues here ... We have 5 cameras ... 2 Arlo Pro and 3 Arlo.  For the original Arlos we're using Tenergy rechargeables. They had been lasting 2 months, and then they dropped to 4 days. I don't know what has changed, but it's really inconvenient and irritating to have them drain so quickly.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @WestNE,

Read this article to learn how to extend your battery life on your Arlo cameras: How can I extend my Arlo camera's battery life?

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

jguerdat was closest to the answer I needed.

On a lark I initiated a Chat session with Arlo TS. I say on a lark because I was already just searching Ebay auctions for a used camera or 3 (if I could get 3 used cameras at a decent price at least 2 of them might work, right?) and writing off the one having issues.

After explaining all the steps I tried Karl with Arlo Technical Support RMA'd my camera, even though it was purchased 22 months ago! He said it was a one-time courtesy, but I wasn't even expecting that! Basically based on the trouble-shooting I had tried he agreed the camera was kaput. So I have to pay for shipping this one back to them, and I get a new (or refurb) one back. EIther way $4.19 in postage is better than $80 for a refurb on Amazon.

I still like to bad-mouth the app, but my overall satisfaction with Arlo is pretty much that they are awesome.

Sent off my bad camera yesterday, now just waiting for the replacement.

JJC123
Aspirant
Aspirant

mine is not even 3 months old and the one camera drains batteries like crazy. I put them in and it instantly goes to about 20%. Just tried resetting the base station and then a sync. The one unit comes online no problem the one is now offine. About ready to chuck it all out.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @JJC123,

Try to read the article that was linked above to know how to extend your Arlo camera if your batteries are draining faster than usual. Otherwise, feel free to contact our support team (using the link that jguerdat provided).

JJC123
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've read everything and optimized. There is something inherently wrong between the cameras if the batteries drain by 75% or more in less than 24 hours. 

Allensp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since purchasing and setting up Arlo Smart on 1 of my camera's it has suddenly started draining the batteries very quickly! I have had my Arlo system for a number of years and all has been fine up until now (acceptable battery life) now however my one camera (upgraded to Smart) is draining batteries in a couple of weeks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If nothing has truly changed (the number of total minutes of recording and live view being <5 minutes per day and there's no signal strength or 2.4GHz interference issue maybe from new devices near the base or camera), swap batteries around between good and bad cameras. If still bad, swap cameras around to see if it's the camera or location.

Allensp
Aspirant
Aspirant

As previously stated THE ONLY change has been the subscription purchase and setup of Arlo Smart on this camera. Has anyone else experienced similar battery drain since using Arlo Smart?

@jguerdat wrote:

If nothing has truly changed (the number of total minutes of recording and live view being <5 minutes

@jguerdat wrote:

If nothing has truly changed (the number of total minutes of recording and live view being <5 minutes per day and there's no signal strength or 2.4GHz interference issue maybe from new devices near the base or camera), swap batteries around between good and bad cameras. If still bad, swap cameras around to see if it's the camera or location.

day and there's no signal strength or 2.4GHz interference issue maybe from new devices near the base or camera), swap batteries around between good and bad cameras. If still bad, swap cameras around to see if it's the camera or location.