Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Security from wifi jamming device on 2.4 ghz

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Alisar
Guide
Guide
I have 3 arlo cameras and was very happy with them at first. However someone is now jamming them maliciously and despite contacting netgear support (who were unable to resolve for us) and FCC (who are trying to tell us it's random interference) we are looking into wired options to secure our home. We know it's not random interference as it occurs every time we leave the house within 10 minutes and comes back within 10 minutes of our return - we are not setting an alarm or any other device that would cause days of interference when we are gone but zero interference when I am home (I am disabled due to a car accident so home a lot). Zero outages when home almost 100% outages when we go out of town or both leave with a bag. We have a situation with what appears to be drug dealers and they are aware I have sent videos of buys to police.
My brother is a tech guy and explained what they are doing. They are jamming the 2.4ghz spectrum. This can't be undone because the signal being sent is stronger than the camera signal so it's impossible for us to "unjam" them. The cameras appear to run constantly but a green screen or horizontal lines and most just skip straight through so even though it shows 30 seconds of recording when replaying you may have a second or two. When we go out of town the constant running means eventually the batteries die and then we have zero cameras and useless footage. When I am home (90% of my life) no outages.
Is there any help for this sort of thing? The arlo q plus looks like it may be good but it's not made for outdoors.
This is a pretty serious weakness that, although highly illegal, is very hard to prove and get any help related to the malicious outages. Arlo/netgear should look to develop a solution for this that is outdoors and unable to be interfered with and advertise this to buyers so they are aware before spend the $400 plus on cameras that can be knocked out.
3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Answered in anothrr thread where you posted the same....

Can't fix jammers  if true just like you can't stop all criminal behavoir.... Move to a wired system if you think this is true.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Alisar
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the suggestion, that's what we are doing. It's hard to find a good set up for wired without paying a lot for installation (I tried the netgear Poe system but am not super tech savvy so remote set up was not working for me)...but my brother suggested trying a hunting camera with sd slot as a backup for now. We live in a really populated area so at least someone would notice if someone was trying to steal that camera while knocking the others out.
nefur
Aspirant
Aspirant

Identical problem. To stop home invasions while away and persistant vandalism, I installed multiple Arlo cameras.  Great to set up, everything up and running- within a few days, there were discrepancies. Cameras would not record, camera settings looked like they were changed when I did not change them. Now the jamming. Over the past several days, the cameras were adjusted to the highest sensitivity as a test and recorded every several minutes WHILE I WAS HOME.  Upon leaving, cameras suddenly stopped recording for 3 1/2 hours while I was out. Upon return, within 15 minutes, all cameras resumed sending notifications. This is clearly a proximity jam done within range of the WIFI. I had a wired system (ADT) as well hooked to a phone line (full duplex) and that was not secure either. If the security systems can dial out on your phone line to the police station, then anyone with the knowledge can also dial in and trigger the system remotely. All calls to ADT were futile; I was told that I could not control access to the system and was denied programming information that would have helped. Good luck on the wired system- it is probably better that the WIFI but be aware that both can be somewhat easily hacked and you will still remain vulnerable.