Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

SOOOO tired of the iOS app not working half the time. Alternatives?

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
FrankFurter69
Tutor
Tutor

I'd say the attached screenshot of the iOS app pretty much sums up my experience and satisfaction with my Arlo system. 

Arlo iOS app

I mean seriously, I read of these issues all over the place. This thing has turned into the classic car-alarm scenario - it so rarely works that I quit paying much attention to it. It seems like when you don't touch it, it does a decent job at recording and reporting events - but try anything "on demand", and all bets are off. Doesn't matter the scenario - I am 100% convinced it's the app. Why? 

I've tried:

• On my local network
  • Internet
  • Hidden SSID
  • Broadcast SSID
  • MAC filtered
  • No MAC filtering
  • Firmware is all updated
  • Rebooted the base station
  • Rebooted the app
  • Reset the base station
  • Powered off all networking gear in my house
  • BLAH FREAKING BLAH

I've tried everything. The app behaves the same regardless of it's environment. It may go weeks at a time with no hiccups, but that time you really want to check it, you get something like shown above. 

I also recently had to RMA a camera (barely a year old) because it displayed only pink video. 

I'm starting to wonder why I paid so much for this system. I hold it to a little more scrutiny, because it's advertised as a SECURITY camera. It's not dependable, never really has been, and I now wonder what my alternatives are. Anyone have any experience with a different (better) system? Arlo continues to thrive because they are more or less the only competition in the truly wireless camera space. I'm about ready to say "screw it" and run cable all over the house, but I'm concerned that the real issues are with the app, not the cameras. 

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

FrankFurter69,

RMA eligibility would need to be determined by the support team. Consider opening a case with support to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Earthtobill
Tutor
Tutor

You are not alone...experience the same issue consistently - thanks for posting concer. Will be interested if anyone can offer solutions.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

FrankFurter69,

We are currently investigating the error message reported above. Consider uninstalling the app and download a fresh version from the app store. Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

FrankFurter69
Tutor
Tutor

Reinstalled as instructed. Initially acted a little more stable, but that honeymoon ended pretty quickly.

I was at an appointment this morning. Got an alert. Opened app on my iPhone, this is what I get.

IMG_5269.jpg

Note, my battery levels show full on all devices, except the one showing offline. Today it's consistently shown 50%, but I've seen it go to 5%, and it was at 100% a few days ago. I don't get any more triggers on this device than any other one, just the usual *other* problem of the screen flashing or whatever it is that happens causing false alarms. 

Nothing has changed in my environment. Same Arlo config, same routers, same phone, etc. I guess it's never worked flawlessly, but with each app release it seems to degrade more and more. I can't depend on it, and that's a deal breaker. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Updated app as of yesterday.
FrankFurter69
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, I get those notices too.

The screenshot above is from this morning (after I updated). 

FrankFurter69
Tutor
Tutor

I get this ALL the time too:

IMG_5271.jpg

I often want to change the mode, I work from home at random times, and I like to switch from all on to a select set of cameras. So I go to change the mode, and sometimes it goes directly to mode selection, but usually sits here as shown for minutes, sometimes never "catches" and I have to kill the app and try again. 

You see, that's the issue I have with Arlo. It's supposed to *enhance* my life and productivity. Instead, it adds seconds/minutes to my day, usually needlessly. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

FrankFurter69,

What model iPhone are you using and what version of iOS is it running?

JamesC

FrankFurter69
Tutor
Tutor
I wouldn't say this has been specific to this phone/OS, but it's an iPhone 7+ running 10.2.
FrankFurter69
Tutor
Tutor

Just now I opened my web browser (Mac OS 10.12.2 / Chrome 55.0.2883.95 (not that this matters, but I'll know you'll ask. It's done this for, well, ever)). Logged into the system, takes me right in. Click the "LIVE" icon on one of my cameras, it says "Please wait...." for about 30 seconds, then goes back to the LIVE icon. 

So now I'm just really curious, is it just me? Do I have the only completely defective system Arlo makes? (According to Twitter, I'm definitely not alone....). 

Nothing works consistently. Well, maybe I should take that back. It's pretty consistent about motion detection. Which I guess if I wanted just ONE thing to work (which is really true, actually), it'd be motion detection. However, NOTHING else is reliable. Not the iOS app, the web browser, really about anything 'on demand'. I can't even easily change modes, it takes minutes of waiting for about a 15% success rate. 

I've rebooted. Reinstalled. Logged out. Logged in. Updated. Unplugged. 

Netgear, what say you? I'm willing to RMA my entire system back to you (base station and 4 cameras). 3 of my cameras are still under Square Trade warranty, I suppose I could claim the entire system is defective, but between you guys ignoring this thread, and lack of a useable security system, I'm ready to move on. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

FrankFurter69,

While a slight delay when clicking live view is expected, minutes to live view or never getting a live view at all is not normal behavior. Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

FrankFurter69
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you James. With all due respect, I've exhausted those options, and as I've detailed, can't imagine what's left to try that I haven't done at support's direction.

I appreciate it, but if a complete RMA isn't possible, I'll continue evaluating alternatives. I'm just not going to start all over with the troubleshooting process again.

Regards
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

FrankFurter69,

RMA eligibility would need to be determined by the support team. Consider opening a case with support to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

FrankFurter69
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks James. Doubt I will. I've been through the whole process before. After they tell me to reinstall, reboot, reset, and relocate, and it performs the same, they'll say I'm outside of the RMA period.

I appreciate your efforts, but I think my days with Arlo are behind me. Great idea, poor implementation. 

Best wishes.