Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Re: Getting logged out of My Arlo

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 18 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Macahi Star
Star

Why does the web portal now force me to log in every time I load it?  This behavior started yesterday or the day before. 

Guru jguerdat Guru
Guru

I believe this is part of the 2FA (2 factor authentication) process, regardless of whether you have it enabled.

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

Yesterday I noticed I was getting logged of My Arlo. It was also slowing down my browser big time when trying to access the site. Before I would remain signed it even if my laptop was closed. No even if my computer is active, I find I'm logged out when I check back. I'm not only logged out, but now I have to re-enter both my user name password every time. I'm not logging in from anywhere else at the same time and my browser is up to date.

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

I think this is related to the two factor authentication feature (even if you aren't using that feature).

The risk of allowing extended logins is that can let other people see your videos.  That's particularly true if you log in on a public PC somewhere.  More aggressive logouts help eliminate that threat.

But I think Arlo has overdone it a bit.  The security in the web client doesn't need to be more burdensome than my bank/investment sites.  At the very least, there should be a way for the user to have trusted client on specific PCs.

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't use public PC's nor any unsecure connection. It's just a big PITA for me. Just another thing for me to hate about ARLO. Even this community website login is a pain. I check the box at login that says keep me signed in doesn't work.

Is there anything that works right with ARLO?

lordsparky Initiate
Initiate

I believe this coincides with the split from Netgear. The new iPhone app works like the old app, but the desktop website--arlo.com--makes you log on every few minutes. No "Stay logged in" checkbox. I use a long complicated password and by the time I log into something else to get it and paste it into the fields the burglars have broken in and killed me. I will probably just have to look at everything on my small phone screen. So Stupid.

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station
Luddy Apprentice
Apprentice

And add 2 factor auth via push notifications and you have to do that EVERY time too even when from the same PC.  They've ceased to amaze me any more.

Macahi Star
Star

>I believe this is part of the 2FA (2 factor authentication) process, regardless of whether you have it enabled.

No, I don't believe it is. This isn't a 2nd sign-on.  It's the initial email/pwd sign-on.

The webpage changed a couple of days ago when this behavior started.  They are no longer maintaining the credentials.

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

I quit using my iPhone for ARLO notifications because it would cause my battery to drain so fast because of all the worthless videos the ARLO cameras would capture. The videos are worthless because only captured the end of any mothion. That's for the other thread that has gone nowhere.

I think that old soup cans disguised as ARLO cameras would do as much as this system does.

parsrgood Apprentice
Apprentice

@ macaahi. You are correct. This has nothing to do with two factor authentication. Arlo has once again made some changes which leaves it's camera owners up in arms as what to do. They have changed their log in URL. It would have been easy for them to redirect the URL to their new web address but they didn't. Try http:my.arlo.com/#/home. That should let you sign in. It's what worked for me 2 days ago. Hope it works for you. 

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station, VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
Macahi Star
Star

@parsrgood 

Thank you, but you misunderstood.  I use that url and always have.  I have no issues logging in.  My issue is that I used to be able to load the page on my browser, log in, then close the browser windows.  When I come back to the page in my browser, I am still logged in and do not have to re-enter my credentials.

Now, I have to reenter my credentials every single time I load the page.  It's a pain in the okole.
Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

@Macahi wrote:

>I believe this is part of the 2FA (2 factor authentication) process, regardless of whether you have it enabled.

No, I don't believe it is. This isn't a 2nd sign-on.  It's the initial email/pwd sign-on.

The webpage changed a couple of days ago when this behavior started.  They are no longer maintaining the credentials.

Every time you refresh the browser page you have to log in again, which is a pain (and in the case of Edge, it adds a couple more hoops to jump through when enabling Flash).

I believe they did that to increase the security effectiveness of 2FA.  I agree it isn't 2FA itself (the repeated logins are needed whether 2FA is enabled or not).   

And as I said earlier I think they overdid it (making it more burdensome than necessary).

Gumby-Arlo Tutor
Tutor

Agreed it has becomed a real pain to use Arlo.

Following.

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station
Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

It's now taking over a minute to log back in to my arlo and it seems I have to log in fresh each and every time. I've tried different browsers and the have the same stupid issue. This is really pissing me off. I hate this system enough. I don't need any more garbage to deal with from this pathetic company.

I don't get how these systems have such positive reviews at different merchants when all I read here how terrible arlo is.

I've done some research on Nest and they're no better. Smiley Sad

Guru jguerdat Guru
Guru

I think the issue on the web is the new 2FA feature, whether you use it or not. The app continues to connect as before.

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

Maybe I wouldn't mind so much to log in if everything worked OK but it doesn't. Why is ARLO making it so difficult? It's BS.

Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

@Kaskillah wrote:

Why is ARLO making it so difficult? 

I agree they've made it harder than necessary, and hope they reduce the log outs.

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

Maybe they want to limit the bandwith on their servers buy cutting off connected users. It does nothing but anger users.

Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

@Kaskillah wrote:

Maybe they want to limit the bandwith on their servers by cutting off connected users.

No, that doesn't make any sense.  It isn't using any bandwidth unless the user is actively doing something.

@Kaskillah wrote:

It does nothing but anger users.

I agree with that part.

Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

Well it was a guess. I'm no IT expert. I thought that the more users might be connected it might do something to the server.

I'll see what info my IT expert at work might know about these things.

Highlighted
bvoswego Aspirant
Aspirant

I also am logged out which doesn't bother me as much as I then need to type in my email address each time. This started recently. Before, all it did was ask for the PW. Trying to determine if this is a window 10 thing or Arlo

Macahi Star
Star

@bvoswego 

It's Arlo.  They also made several other webpage changes at the same time.

I'm just keeping the page open in the browser now instead of loading it when I need it.  It's stupid to have to do that, but whatever.  Arlo isn't known for making smart decisions.  As long as I interact with the page every 1/2 hour or so, it's staying logged in.  (At least that's my experience so far.)

Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

@Macahi wrote:

As long as I interact with the page every 1/2 hour or so, it's staying logged in.  (At least that's my experience so far.)

If you refresh the page, I think you will be asked to log again.

Gumby-Arlo Tutor
Tutor

I agree it's Arlo. fwiw - I am using Win7

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station, VMB3500 | Arlo Base Station
Kaskillah Apprentice
Apprentice

It's arlo without any question. I have the same issue whether I use a PC or a Mac. It does glitch Firefox more than Chrome on the Mac so I have to use Chrome. It still requires a fresh log in every time with is frustrating to say the least.