Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Relocating the Base Unit using Powerline

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Tulley
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hey just thought I would share my latest installation change as I am really happy with it.

I have 2 out of three cameras outside. One on tthe front of the garage and one on the back of the house. The third is in the baby's room with motion detect disabled...

With the base unit in my living room next to my router I was getting 2 out of 4 bars connectivity on my outside cameras and as such fluctuations in video quality as well as lag when streaming. I was also getting a weird recording bug on one.

Last night I picked up a Powerline kit and spread my network into the garage, allowing me to relocate my base unit to the detached garage with a much better line of site to the cameras.

Even though it has to go through my house circuit breaker onto a different power distribution ring the network is working reliably and at the usual full download speed. All my cameras now have full reception and working flawlessly.

Maybe be obvious to some as an option but just a simple setup tweak I made that helped and may benifit others too.
2 REPLIES 2
Tulley
Apprentice
Apprentice
Oh and it only cost £29.99 to buy the 500mbps powerline kit from maplins.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

thanks for the info

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------