Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recording/Not Recording

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Joel3
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of our camera's is in the basement and it is constantly recording, but there is nothing moving down there, nor are we getting any push notifications.  Another one is out front and we are constantly getting notifications, but it isn't recording (I think it's picking up the flag).  How do we correct this?  The sensitivities are set the same on all cameras, all settings are equal. So not sure why they are behaving differently. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Check all the rules in your recording mode. For the basement camera, you probably want to turn down the motion sensitivity. You can toggle on/off the push notifications there too.

For the Front camera, also edit the rule in your recording mode. Turn down the motion sensitivity. Check that motion on the Front camera causes recording. I suspect the rule might say motion detection causes the camera to "do nothing" but that the push notifications are enabled.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First and easy thing to do is 1) reset the cameras by pulling / replacing batteries.

2) Then reboot the base  giving it time to reboot and come back online.

Test again

( verify the cameras are properly ARMED by arming and then check to make sure the running man is Black ( live view screen ))

If NG, you may have to use remove device on the cams and bring them back as if new

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Check all the rules in your recording mode. For the basement camera, you probably want to turn down the motion sensitivity. You can toggle on/off the push notifications there too.

For the Front camera, also edit the rule in your recording mode. Turn down the motion sensitivity. Check that motion on the Front camera causes recording. I suspect the rule might say motion detection causes the camera to "do nothing" but that the push notifications are enabled.

Joel3
Aspirant
Aspirant

We just got the cameras so we are learning our ways around.  This got them functioning properly. Thanks!

Joel3
Aspirant
Aspirant

when you say "turn down the sensativity", I take it you mean to like 50% or something?  The person standing still and the person running seem to denote more sensative (picks up someone standing still) and less sensative (only something on the move)...but that seems counterintuative to me (at least), as 100% woudl seem less sensative. Now my issue seems to be that it picks up EVERY CAR that drives by.  We live near the main road, so that is a lot of motion being triggered!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Others have noted the same seeming inconsistency in the icons vs. the actual setting. It's a mindset thing but what you really should note is that the higher the number (and the further to the right) the more sensitive the setting is.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

What I do when I get a new camera is first mount it where there's minimal extra stuff in the view eg passing cars or swaying trees. Then I put the motion sensitivity at 100 (most sensitive) and each time I get an unwanted recording/notification within 30 minutes of a previous one, I turn down the sensitivity. It can be a long process to get the sensitivity perfect. I have many cameras with sensitivity in the low 90s but others (two that face the road) are set around 70. You want the sensitivity to be enough to record what you want, normally people, but not so high that it records every car that goes by.

I also have found that the sensitivity during the day needs to be lower so I run two different modes with all the same rules but different sensitivity settings and run them on a schedule