Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Rechargeable battery

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Bekir
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can I use Arlo Pro rechargeable batteries with my normal Arlo?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Bekir wrote:

No the Pro takes a cube battery pack, the Arlo takes 123 sized cells.

But Netgear does sell a charger and rechargeable cells that fit the Arlo ( Amazon)

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Bekir wrote:

No the Pro takes a cube battery pack, the Arlo takes 123 sized cells.

But Netgear does sell a charger and rechargeable cells that fit the Arlo ( Amazon)

Morse is faster than texting!
Bekir
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank You TomMac.

steve_t
Master Master
Master
SixSigmaGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

The documentation that came with my Arlo cameras is pretty specific that I should not use rechargable batteries.  Now I'm being told that netgear sells a battery charger for my Arlo cameras.  Can you please address the descrepancy?  Is Netgear trying to force us to use only their rechargable batteries and charger?  I see it costs $49 which is pretty high compared to others, such as Costco's.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not if you compare the correct batteries and chargers with the same capabilities and protections. There is a huge thread here on what to use and why. The Tenergy solution Netgear sells is a good choice.

SixSigmaGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat wrote:

Not if you compare the correct batteries and chargers with the same capabilities and protections. There is a huge thread here on what to use and why. The Tenergy solution Netgear sells is a good choice.

I actually did a fair amount of research after I posted my question, and pretty much confirmed what you said.  I was surprised to see some of the sellers stating right in their add that their charger doesn't work with Arlo cameras.  Too bad since it's so expensive.  I also discovered that Costco doesn't sell them at all.  Thanks!!

manfredz
Hero
Hero

you'll quickly recover the cost of rechargeable batteries (and charger) if you do much recording.

You can buy cheap rechargeable but the may not have safeguards and could end up trashing your cam.

netgear tested the tenergys and was satisfied their tight specs don;t pose a threat. this superseded the printed no rechargeables, which was valid when printed

steve_t
Master Master
Master

SixSigmaGuy wrote:

I actually did a fair amount of research after I posted my question, and pretty much confirmed what you said.  I was surprised to see some of the sellers stating right in their add that their charger doesn't work with Arlo cameras.  Too bad since it's so expensive.  I also discovered that Costco doesn't sell them at all.  Thanks!!

Regular USB chargers don't have enough power to charge the Arlo Pro cameras. I thought my Samsung fast charger would as it also does 9V output but sadly it doesn't output enough current. This will be what you're seeing. Any battery charger should be able to charge RCR123A batteries for you to use in the original Arlo cameras. I have a Nitecore D4 and it's great

Techlore
Apprentice
Apprentice

This assessment of the documentation is correct. There are one type or rechargeable batteries for the Arlo.

It does say in the user manual not to use rechargeable batteries - because of fire, etc. This obviously isn't true for approved rechargeable batteries(linked below).

From the manual (https://www.arlo.com/ch/images/Documents/Arlo_Wirefree/arlo_wirefree_um.pdf😞
Arlo Wire-Free cameras have been designed for use with primary, non-rechargeable batteries. For the best possible Arlo experience, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND using the non-rechargeable batteries supplied with your Arlo Wire-Free cameras, or non-rechargeable high-quality batteries from other, established, well-known manufacturers such as Panasonic®, Energizer®, or Duracell®. Because many rechargeable batteries on the market are counterfeits or of inferior quality, WE STRONGLY DISCOURAGE the use of any rechargeable batteries with your Arlo Wire-Free cameras, as they may pose a fire or burn hazard. They may also damage your camera.

There are only one type of batteries that are approved to use that are rechargeable and they are made by Tenergy.

These are the approved rechargeable batteries for the Arlo