Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Reception between 2nd camera and base station

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
boom
Tutor
Tutor

Hello. I just added a second camera to the back of my house. It's about 30 ft. from my base station as is my 1st camera mounted at front of house. The issue I have is the slow video response time from the camera; sometimes not even detecting motion and creating the 10 second video. I think I know what's creating the issue but I'm looking for some suggestions or, perhaps, answers. What I have done is mount the camera about 10 feet up on the base frame of my aluminum swimming pool lanai. This position gives me the best view of my backyard without going farther from base station. I'm thinking the aluminum frame is causing interference between the camera and base station. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
boom
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the response! Found an article in help section about base station placement. Since video from both cameras had severly degraded, I decided to move base about 15 ft. away from wireless router. Base had been setting next to router on top of entertainment credenza and behind large flat screen TV with other electronic components. What a world of difference!!! Apparently streaming video from cameras was being disrupted by all equipment.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Range to the base is very flexible... from the max line of sight ( no obstructions ) at 300ft to as low as 10 ft if going thru metal walls, etc It all depends on wht is blocking the wifi signal.

So, check the signal level on that camera.. I feel min is 2 bars for good response and battery life ( less will work, but it may suffer both )

As to the lag, the best response is less than 2 secs with Arlo... position is very important to get good results. What I see many time is users trying to cover to large an area ( PIR for people max at about 20ft ) and then lowering the sense level to stop false triggers from large objects that appear like cars...

So IMO, ;

1) check signal

2) cover less area ( where you think trouble may be ) so you can maximize your sense level and not get a lot of false triggers

3) make sure movement is more likely across the FOV if possible

4) set record time according to location to get what you want to see and sometimes place the camera away from the shot location so subject walking in starts the trigger event and the lag doesn't stop you from getting a good recording at the location and leaving

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
boom
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the response! Found an article in help section about base station placement. Since video from both cameras had severly degraded, I decided to move base about 15 ft. away from wireless router. Base had been setting next to router on top of entertainment credenza and behind large flat screen TV with other electronic components. What a world of difference!!! Apparently streaming video from cameras was being disrupted by all equipment.