Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Re: Motion detection improvements

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Sulaco
Follower
Follower

I have an issue where the camera keeps detecting motion in an area where it has no visual range. It's my drive way camera. I even tried to poing it more at the actual drive way and keep off the street as it detects just about every dang car that passes by and then doesn't detect actual people moving past it at a way closer range sometimes. It seems to be very selective in what it detects/records. I really need the camera to focus on what it can actually see. It's really annoying to keep have to drill holes on the outside of the house only to have to constantly adjust the cameras and avoid recordings of virtually nothing. 

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

This happens esp if you have pan-zoomed the viewed picture ( in settings ) and made smaller.

The PIR covers the entire Field of VIEW reguardless if the viewed section is reduced.

At other times, the PIR may even exceed the FOV a small amount.... way to prevent this is to cover the area where the PIR can detect people ( less than 25 ft ) and keep roadways out of view by angling down a bit.

It can be a trial and error , but if you have more than one camera, you may want to swap two and see if the second behaves better in that location.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
operasinger
Tutor
Tutor

I worked with tech reps for nearly a year to try to get these cams to consistently and reliably record, doing everything possible. But nothing has worked. No setting changes this.

Still, sometimes it picks up people walking by the entire length, or it starts recording as the person walks out of the FOV, so nothing shows but a foot. Same for vehicles. Sometimes you see them, sometimes you see only a slice of tail or head light. It happens with both cams. Both were even replaced, but it still happens.

I've given up hope that these cams will ever be reliable.