Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Twosmiles
Tutor
Tutor

does anyone else only get a range of about 15 ft. Even with a fairly new battery?

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It can be all about location and position.  A downward tilt with motion across the FOV works best with the edges seeming to have the best detection.  It's trial and error.

Twosmiles
Tutor
Tutor
I am not talking about detection but live view....
Twosmiles
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Twosmiles wrote:
I am not talking about detection but live view....

Guess I don't understand then.  Live view doesn't have a "range".  Detection does.

Twosmiles
Tutor
Tutor

Live range is the distance between the camera and base that you can see the camera output.

detection is a subset, I.e. No camera then no detect...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, now that we have the terminology set, the answer is "simple". (HA!)

The specs say up to 300 feet but that depends on a ton of things - 2.4GHz. interference from other devices, walls, ceilings, wiring, ductwork, the phase of the moon.  Straight line with no other obstacles could get you there but in a realistic scenario it's far more complicated.  You can only rely on testing and, to a degree, the WiFi signal strength shown in the app/web page.  It could be horrible (10 feet) or not bad at all (50-100 feet).

"It depends." (TM)

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Twosmiles wrote:

Live range is the distance between the camera and base that you can see the camera output.

As mentioned spec max is 300 ft just like any other wifi and works at a frequency of 2.4ghz

As you may/may not know, 2.4ghz is line-of -sight radio waves... they can be reflected and/ or blocked. There is also a large amount of interference out there in the same frequencies , like microwave ovens, other wifi systems.

I have use the cameras to max about 150 ft... but will say it's been under good conditions of high elevation, no real blockages, line of sight contact.

The only  way to know what  works/how far in your environment is to test it.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------