Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Problem connecting Arlo VMB3000 Base Station to a (UK) BT Home Hub 5

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Trabby
Aspirant
Aspirant

Trouble connecting the Arlo router to my Internet router.  My Internet connection is via a 'BT Home Hub 5' wireless router (common kit in the UK). Connecting the Arlo VMB3000 Base Station directly to my wireless router with an Ethernet cable does not result in a green light after two minutes (stays yellow).  Do I have to change IP address settings in the VMB3000 or provide it with the BT Hub's WPA2 key?  Or is there a simpler solution?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unless the router is set differently, the usual Ethernet connection needs nothing more than the cable. There's nothing that should require the WiFi keg since its not using WiFi. Could you have all MAC addresses blocked so only specific devices can connect? Seems like it's a DHCP issue - ensure you only have one DHCP server running.

Trabby
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks jaguerdat. In fact, though the connection guide instructs you to (1) establish the base station, and then (2) register for an Arlo account, I skipped the base station set up (because of the connection issue, but leaving the two routers connected), went on to set up the Arlo account, and then found that the base station connection was established (problem resolved itself) immediately the account was created.  Could the two be linked or just a coincidence of timing? I made no changes to any other network settings. Seems strange that registration of the account would result in Internet access from the Netgear router through the WLAN, where none existed previously. Still, v.happy that it's all working. Thanks for the advice.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You say two router's - is that correct? If so, that could be the problem, especially if both have DHCP servers active.