Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Overall, quite pleased, but...

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Phlier
Star
Star

...the video quality is quite disappointing.

I do have the quality  set to high in the camera settings, and the camera is located 10 feet away from the base station. The signal only has to penetrate one wall.

Internet speed 1mbps up, 50mbps down.

Is the quality in these two videos:

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/FF401786D4D49882

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/753311A77209C17C

about equal to what you guys are seeing? Judging from some of the "Caught in the Act" videos, I'm not getting nearly the picture quality I should be.

Any suggestions on how to improve it?

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Actually, the videoes aren't bad IMO...

you have slight delay in recording number 1 and a "flash' of vid smear.( assuming the girl came out the door too ).  I'd bump up the sensitivity a bit to decrease the time delay ... some times it will work, sometimes the delay has to do with the data speeds and cam waking up.

In vid 2 you get the person at the front door with package and its a pretty good vid... tho I do see some iris adjustment in the start of the video.

The vid 2 is good for a possible ID, shows she's barefoot and a '94' on her sweats ..even can see a bracelet on wrist.

The only improvement I can think of would be;

1) your at the recommended min data speed for proper function and slower speed can effect quality of videosso if possible increase speed ( easier said than done I know )

2) I would lower the camera down just a bit to get a better face viewing ( if possible )

3) bump up the sense a bit to see if any improvement

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Phlier
Star
Star

Thanks, TomMac, I'll give that a shot.

Unfortunately I'm at the max up rate offered by my ISP. Lowering the camera more would make it a bit too easy to steal. I'll try upping the motion sensitivity a bit; it's kind of hit and miss, as just a bit too high causes false triggers due to changes in lighting on the front porch, too low and it doesn't start up fast enough.

It really is a neat system, I just wish it wasn't dependent on Netgear's servers. Local creation and storage would be worth a higher initial product cost, if that's what it would take to get rid of the subscription and cloud based storage.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I know you prob can't do anything with the speed ( like I said )... And the height option is also a balance act between easily reached or not.

What I really wish Netgear would come out with is a PIR by itself linked to Alro to trigger a cam... that would allow you to place inside glass, inside window, etc and still activate the camera ( yes its posted in the want section already )

Morse is faster than texting!
RegDawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've had the system for over a week now and overall I like it but it does have its negatives. The lag during motion recording sucks but where I have my camera's set-up, it captures images just in time. Battery life is still full in all the camera's and I check the camera's daily via my phone. The wireless system is a brilliant idea but it has some points that can be better. I mean at this time, there are no other wireless solutions are there?

I'm on the fence right now though on either keeping it or returning it. I want security camera's but hate the idea of paying to have wires running through my attic/walls. Only reason why i'm considering keeping Arlo.

HeatherABC
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've had my 4 camera set for a little over a week now. For the most part I like it. It's the only one out there that is completely wireless and indoor/outdoor. So there's not much to choose from at this point. 

I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep mine. I had one camera go pink every morning as it switched from night to day mode. Netgear originally offered to replace it if I paid to ship it to them (it was 3 days old at that point) but did come to me and offer to cover shipping after I complained here on the forum. I've had some video breakups when recording, but that doesn't happen all the time. My motion sensing seems to have only a short lag for activating recording so that hasn't been an issue. 

Pros:

Average cost per camera was only $125 (buying the 4 camera set) which is cheaper than any of my other cameras.

Free cloud storage for recordings.

The ability to download and save video clips/images

indoor/outdoor

flexibility in placement

Ease in inviting friends to view/control cameras

Cons:

110 degree viewing radius. I miss the 130 I get from Dropcam/Nest Cam

No sound

No IFTTT support

No Home Automation support

No geofencing support

I'll probably add to this list over time. But these are my initial observations.