Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Powering on/off

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
quedecree
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi guys, I am considering the wireless Arlo camera system for my property, but I am on solar power and often turn all my computer and wifi gear off - depending on my battery levels. Would I strike any problems turning the base station off? Will it re-link to the cameras automatically when turned back on? If the base station is off, will the cameras constantly try to 'connect' and run the batteries down? I would probably keep the sensitivity on the cameras right down and I realize they won't record or be able to view anything with my wifi/base station off.
7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Turning the base off will cause the cameras to continually try to reconnect, wearing down their batteries.  However, you could use an appropriately-sized UPS/battery backup for only the network gear (modem/router/base) for the times you're powered down. How long is the longest time you're offline?  That would determine the size of the UPS needed.  Once you're powered back on, the UPS would recharge and be ready for the next outage.

A possibility would be to use a UPS for only the base so the cameras stay in contact.  However, I don't know what the implications are for battery life if there's no Internet connection.  I suspect none but can't be sure.

The use of a UPS also helps the cameras to stay connected.  Many times the cameras will automatically reconnect to the base after an outage but there have been a number of reports of failures to reconnect, too.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If your working on solar.. you're prob running banks of 12v deep cells...

Nice thing is the base actually runs on a 12v dc supply so you could cut out the power loss of converter and feed directly for min usage of power ( while keeping up )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
quedecree
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many thanks, guys.  I may be able to plug the wifi/nbn & base station on the same power board and leave it running - probably only use an amp out of 24v.  There'd be the occasional interuption when I swap to a generator.  I 'usually' turn everything off overnight except for a fridge.  I take it the only way to actually turn the camera off is to pop the batteries out.

Cheers.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

quedecree wrote:

I take it the only way to actually turn the camera off is to pop the batteries out.

Cheers.

Yup.  With the base off and batteries in the camera, the camera will eat them up.

quedecree
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the info guys.  Got the camera up and running without any hassles although I am very dissappointed in the wifi range.  If I put it where I want it (through a wall, and up onto a shed roof about 17m away) I get a low signal when looking on my ipad - it does still work but I figure that's probably going to be using more batteries?  I do have an alternate spot that works ok which is base next to a window and camera 12m away on a fence post which gives full signal strength.  Was hoping for 20 - 30m through a couple of walls though.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Buildings and wifi is a strange duck at times... I've run up to 150 ft line of site without obstruction.

But put a mirror ( wifi reflective ) in the way and you can cut it to a short distance. 

But remember, you can use up to 100m of Ethernet cable to locate your base on a central location , or a second base to extend range ( if you have the power extra )

As a PS.... I've found the base to be about 10-20% stronger over my home wifi signal 

Morse is faster than texting!
quedecree
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good thinking about the long ethernet cable.  It's currently perched on top of a fence post and 'hidden' (or will be when I camoflague it) inside a piece of 100mm stormwater pipe - it's a bit Ned Kelly actually!

I'd agree with the wifi strength too - standing next to the camera with my ipad and my ipad lost signal while the camera was full strength.