Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Today when I opened the Arlo app on my phone I got a message that says that the base station is not connected to the Internet and to power it on. I went to check and found that the base station is not working at all. I tried the power button on the back and I tried changing the location of the adapter. Still dead. I figured that it has to do with the power adapter so I used my router's power adapter and as I expected, the base station started working. I purchased the Arlo security camera (3 Camera Kit) only two months ago. I don't have an extra power adapter to use with it and I'm worried that if I use anything other than the Netgear adapter that came with the product it could harm the base station. What do I do now?

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That was risky using the router's power supply - hope you didn't damage anything.  If the voltages are the same, no issue but many devices use different voltages, not to mention swapping between + and - for the connector.  Don't do that again without checking voltage and polarity.

As for the initial issue, it's trouble ticket time for a replacement.  If you or someone else knows the specs and issues, you could possibly use a universal power supply with the proper connector and polarity to get by in the meantime.  You could also contact the store where you initially bought the system to see if they'd swap one out for you.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Here's the specs if needed... coaxial plug appears to be 5 or 5.5 mm center positive

basepwr.JPG

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you both for the replies. I purchased it from Amazon. The adapter that came with the cameras looks weird and not the ones we usually use here. Here we use 3 pin adapters but I plugged it in and have used it regardless. Perhaps this is what damaged it. I am not sure. I just want to get a power adapter. It does not have to be Netgear's. Which should I look for the input or output voltage? Would it be easy finding an adapter with the same specs?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The above picture tells you all you need as does TomMac's words. 12VDC, 1.5 amp, center conductor is the positive one.

R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Amazon offered to replace the whole thing but they said I would need to return the product. I don't want to go through all this. I just want a new power adapter. They said if I need the adapter I'm going to need to return the product. They couldn't send me a power adapter so they issued a partial refund of $65. I'm going to have to buy from a third party seller.

Will this do? Will it fit in the base station?

http://www.amazon.com/AC-12VDC-1-5-Amp-Power-Supply/dp/B000BYNYJE

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-AC-100-240V-to-DC-12V-1-5A-EU-Plug-Switching-Power-Supply-Convert...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The first one looks doable if the plug fits and has the right polarity.  The second is for the EU - are you living or visiting there?  As with any of these, the onus is on your anus to verify that everything is right before plugging it in. You pays your money and you takes your chance...

R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant
The onus is on your anus?? What do you mean?

And I don't live in the US. The second one is the type we use here in my country.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry, trying to inject a little "humor"...

In any event, any non-standard power adapter carries risk.  Whether it's real or just perceived is up to you to determine.  Will any other adapter work?  Likely but if you blow something up it's all on you.  To keep the risk out, you should use the dedicated supply.  It's up to you to decide.

Also, it wasn't obvious where you live. Since you've made that clear, the first adapter wouldn't be appropriate since it's for NA power connections.  Of course, you could use another adapter so it plugs in properly but that just adds complexity. Either way, you still need to verify that the plug for the base station is of the proper size and polarity.

R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do I contact customer support?? I entered the serial number and date of purchase and got "Thank you for providing us with the necessary information". I want to talk to a customer support rep. Is there any way to do that?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Still want to talk? Just tell us where you’re calling from:

United Kingdom contact information:

0844 875 4000

Or look here and pick country; near bottom of page

http://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Morse is faster than texting!
R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is wrong with Netgear's customer service? I'm still waiting for my replacement adapter. Unbelievable. They haven't even sent me an update. I live chatted with a customer service rep and explained the issue. He said we'll send you a replacement and asked where I want it delivered. He said I would need to send an invoice, proof of purchase to the email he gave, and I did right away. This was on September 26. On September 28, I got a reply from Support saying "The files have now been attached to your case. Here is your case number for your reference...." I replied back inquiring when I can expect the replacement and got no answer. It's November 20 today. What kind of customer service is this?? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

R_S9,

I will reach out to you in a private message to help resolve this issue.

JamesC

R_S9
Aspirant
Aspirant

I replied to your message the same day. Did you receive it?