Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Position mode delay

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
dfreder
Aspirant
Aspirant

As part of the setup of the camera set-up/positioning, it is suggested that one use the Position mode under the Camera settings. As I understand it, using the position mode is supposed to bypass buffering resulting in quicker display of the video. On every camera I have, and having tried different devices to view the camera video including a computer wired directly into the same switch as the Base Station, the video is always delayed well over 30 seconds, and sometimes upwards of 2 minutes. Viewing the video on the Cameras tab from the camera is quicker.

Anyone else experiencing this? It sure would be helpful to have near realtime video for positioning.

Base station FW: 1.3.2261

Camera FW: 1.2.2412

Dale

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Your camera and base s/w are up to date....

But your lag happening to the lenght of time metioned seems long.  I tested the position enough to see if it work but didn't see the lag your seeing so I might ask how is your bandwidth.

In the end tho, I have to say i have positioned all my cameras in realtime streaming... lag time is about 1-2seconds. ( ymmv )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can generally see more or less realtime video when using Position for a few seconds and then it buffers for a long time.  Once that happens, video is delayed about 20 seconds to see the effect of repositioning.  Happens every time. It *might* be related to my pitiful 1Mb/sec. upload speed (thanks, Time-Warner) but I'm not convinced it's the whole issue, especially since the initial burst of video is reasonably realtime.

I don't use Position much anymore - too much of a pain.  I'll turn off the schedule so busy cameras don't interfere and then just enable streaming briefly so I can see where I'm pointed.  With streaming off, I reposition and do another quick burst until I'm satisfied.